Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Great thread! It will take me some time to read it all,but I plan on it.Would you recommend Barnies for a first time chicken owner?I'm only allowed two birds where I live.I just think they are really awesome chickens!

Trisha~ I am so sorry I forgot to mention just how fabulous your chookies are looking! That Blue rooster is STUNNING!
love.gif

Rachael~ How many hens do you have in with the 2 roos?

ChickenDal~ I would absolutely recommend Barnies as a first time chicken, their sweet docile temperments are unmatched as far as I am concerned. However, they are not known to be prolific layers so if a person is looking for a couple of girls that will give them quite a few eggs during the week, then Barnevelders may not be the bird of choice for some.

Quote:
That and they are prone to go broody, which means they want to hatch babies. If you are only limited to 2 and cannot hatch, it could be an issue. (they don't lay eggs while broody)

Thanks!!! I'm disappointed that I'm only allowed to birds, and I haven't even owned 1 yet!Anyway thanks again for the input!The people of the BTC are the best!!

Quote:
I suggest removing one of the roos if possible to see if the feather eating behavior stops. 2 roos over 6 hens IMO is probably too much. Also...sometimes they will pick feathers and eat them if they are lacking something in their diet...possibly protein. How are they eating? Are they getting enough bugs and greens and such?
smile.png

They free rang for two hours each day and get meal worms. I have another pen maybe I should break them up. My main pen is not ready but I do have another smaller pen I could use. If I did 1 Roo and 3 hens would that be better?

Quote:
Hi Rachael,
They may just be trying to learn how to breed. The young cockerels can sometimes be quite rough on the hens/pullets until they figure it out. The young pullets may not submit to being bred and that makes the cockerels even more frustrated. Sometimes older hens are useful to teach cockerels how to be more polite. Hopefully both learn how to get along before any serious damage.

Trisha

Back
Top Bottom