Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

3 Barnevelder chicks hatched......one of the 2 that hatched yesterday did not make it, and the other egg that pipped a pretty good hole was doing okay until this morning where I noticed it was foaming/bubbling from the beak....I put it down.

I have 2 little chickies....one girl and the other I don't know yet as it just hatched this morning and is still in the 'bator.

Andy~ I just saw that you posted a couple pages back....I am still catching up on a couple threads. I haven't changed anything but I am going to....don't know what....but going to work on something. Going to narrow it down one thing at a time if I can.
Thank you!

Sorry to hear your loss.....

I am new to the Barnevelder breed, managed to hatch out 13 chicks 4 weeks ago, so would like to ask someone knowledgable to the breed how soon it is until you can sex them, and what distinct marks etc to look for. Ant help will be greatly appreciated..... I also purchased another 12 eggs today - same breeder - who says he is able to sex the chicks by egg shape. So, he has sent me 12 "female" eggs.... 21 days will tell.... they go into the incubator tomorrow....

It's not 100%, but females tend to have taupe colored chests and males have white chests. By about 4-5 weeks you can tell - the females will feather in quicker and have longer wings. The cockerels will look dinosaur-ish, be slow to feather in, and have shorter wings.

Sorry to hear your loss.....

I am new to the Barnevelder breed, managed to hatch out 13 chicks 4 weeks ago, so would like to ask someone knowledgable to the breed how soon it is until you can sex them, and what distinct marks etc to look for. Ant help will be greatly appreciated..... I also purchased another 12 eggs today - same breeder - who says he is able to sex the chicks by egg shape. So, he has sent me 12 "female" eggs.... 21 days will tell.... they go into the incubator tomorrow....

I think that breeder has a 50-50 chance of being right on those "all female eggs"
wink.png

I think that breeder has a 50-50 chance of being right on those "all female eggs"
wink.png

I agree. If you've had chickens for very long you will see that, while a hen will usually lay the same shape and color of egg, they will at times lay a different shape and/or color.

I have read before of folks who claim to sex chicks from egg shape but that just doesn't hold water with all the other information out there that says the average is 50/50.

God Bless,

Royce

I agree. If you've had chickens for very long you will see that, while a hen will usually lay the same shape and color of egg, they will at times lay a different shape and/or color.

I have read before of folks who claim to sex chicks from egg shape but that just doesn't hold water with all the other information out there that says the average is 50/50.

God Bless,

Royce

Royce,

many thanks!! I an sceptical myself..... But we will see..........

Can anyone give me any clues as to sexing 4 week old chicks?

Ok my peeps... I noticed some critters crawling around on my chickens feet.
They are big enough to see. Any thoughts.
Would scaley leg mites be too small to see?
What do i need to do?

What color are they? If they are small and brown, they are lice. (you can look around their vent too, lice like to hang out there) For body lice/mites, you dust with poultry dust or sevin garden dust. You'll need to dust again in 10 days as the eggs will hatch.

If they are scaly leg mites, you can dip their legs in baby oil, which suffocates them.

Brownish in color.
OMG! Now my concern is... lice, as in lice we can catch?
They run around in my yard. What do i need to do about that.
What about the coop/run, also?

Brownish in color.
OMG! Now my concern is... lice, as in lice we can catch?
They run around in my yard. What do i need to do about that.
What about the coop/run, also?

No, not lice you can get. Poultry lice and people lice are different. Poultry lice can only live on feathers and dander. They are spread from wild birds.

As for the coop/run - I'd clean it out really well and sprinkle the poultry dust on the floor under the bedding. Nest boxes and dust bathing spots also.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom