Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Congrats Andy, I look forward to seeing your progress! I think the silvers are gorgeous!

I hatched 2 barnevelder chicks a couple months ago, and both are pullets! They both look really nice for their age too, so I'm super excited. I've been down to 1 female - originally hatched 4, but lost 2 to a predator and culled 1 to a friends layer flock. So I'm flock rebuilding and looking forward to a really nice flock.

Last edited:
Andy, your silver chick looks pretty well marked like a Barnevelder chick...it'll be neat if it's blue too
love.gif

I have chicks hatching as I type
wee.gif
Yay, the last until summer is over! My blue hen is sitting on her eggs and she's doing an ok job. She was a bit clumsy at first and broke a few getting off/on the nest to eat and drink every few days:( But now she's is sitting tight with chicks starting to peep under her as of this morning:)

Trisha

Well, I woke up to tons of chicks this morning in the bator. I haven't counted yet and there's still more hatching:) I did grab about 20 and a stuffed them under one of my broody hens.

This girl is in heaven, LOL. She's gone broody 3 times in one year. The first time was when she was about 6 months old (she laid about 2 dozen eggs and went broody). I broke her both times last year because I didn't need a broody then and this spring she started sitting again. I kept her around in the hopes she would go broody for me when I needed her too and she did. She's a "black" hen from my blue project.

Now she has 20 chicks to raise and is sooooo happy!

Yep, there's 20 chicks under her.

I took some snap shots of two of my blue project birds that are about 10 weeks old.

Here is my oldest cockerel.

Here is his back.

Here is the back of one of my older pullets. And it remains to be seen if she is going to be double laced.

Here is the back of a gold double- laced pullet a week younger than the blue girl for comparison. The lacing is already
clearly double laced and very sharp line between red and black.

I am glad I hatched lots of this cross. I will have to be patient as the feathers come in.

Andy

Andy, Your blues are looking good:) I found that the "black" project birds usually seem to have better lacing than the blues. I've gotten some really clean laced blacks, but it seems harder to get blues with the "clean" lacing. I'm hoping to eventually get some really clean/bold double laced blues someday
fl.gif

Trisha

Back
Top Bottom