Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

That's a pretty good colored egg for a barnevelder. If you read some of the history about Barnevelders, they don't lay the same color as welsumers or marans. Welsumers lay dark red/terricotta. Marans lay dark chocolate. Barnevelders a rich, warm brown with or without speckles. The goal is to get even darker eggs, but they shouldn't be like marans eggs.

Trisha

Some nice shots of 2 blue pullets. The sun came out for a bit a little while ago.

WOW Trisha, so pretty!!! I need to get some shots of your babies they are looking great! Just been spending to much time trying to read the Old Timers Forum. I am on page 307 (yes that took a LONG time) but it has 1,000+ pages. I don't think I will ever get caught up
lau.gif

That's a pretty good colored egg for a barnevelder. If you read some of the history about Barnevelders, they don't lay the same color as welsumers or marans. Welsumers lay dark red/terricotta. Marans lay dark chocolate. Barnevelders a rich, warm brown with or without speckles. The goal is to get even darker eggs, but they shouldn't be like marans eggs.

Trisha
Just out of curiosity, how does one breed for darker eggs? Just keep breeding that particular hen (who has no major faults) and who also happens to lay darker eggs as well? And then breed her daughters who lay dark eggs too?

An old article on Barnevelders. I borrowed it from postings on backyardpoultry.com which is more of a Australian site. I find it interesting that the UK choose to adopt a laced breast in males in order to distinguish double-laced from partridge males. They also believed that the lacing in the breast of males will help to improve the lacing on females.

On the other hand, the APA standard labels Barnevelders as Partridge, but calls for laced breasts in males and double laced females? Talk about a confusing.
th.gif
Andy did you ever get any more info on that issue?

More recently the Dutch have stated the opposite is true and that genetically the males with solid black breasts lead to better laced females. I would believe the Dutch because from what I've read that the better lacing in females requires more melanizers and no Columbian. Of course, all breeding does require balance to get the pattern just right.

This article also mentions Black barnevelders. I believe Paul has some sport blacks and is working on that project. Once final comment...boy do I wish the Barnevelders of today laid as well as the ones did in the 1930's.

Back
Top Bottom