Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Hello you all,
Several things in this discussion are pretty interesting. I need to make clear, though, that almost everything (except for what paucity I have had of personal experience with the Barnies) I have stated about breeding issues and color of the breast on the male is what I have picked up from reading Dutch articles on the breed, including the finding that a black breasted male would produce the better laced female. I have also come across a description to the effect that there should be no or little "visible" brown on the breast of the male, which suggests that the [single] lacing is so broad that there is but a small portion of mahogany red at the very base of the feathers. Some of the winning birds from shows in Germany and Scandinavia (bantams at least), however, show lacing in the breast of the males. It was for that reason that I contacted the Dutch breed club, and also having already read several articles claiming that Barnevelders need/should not be double mated -- i.e., one type of mating for males and another one for females -- and it was the response from the Dutch club that I reported earlier. I have no particular bias one way or the other, but it may make it easier for people working with the breed to go along with the Dutch practice ... or?
Ideal Barnies are stunning birds, and I always loved the incredible sheen some could have. In fact, I don't think I have ever seen a more beautiful breed. It is also encouraging to see that so many people in this country (and also several in Canada) are working with these birds. Breeding issues and APA standard specifications should be dealt with as a result of you, the primary breeders, communicating amongst yourselves and then make requests or recommendations to the APA to adjust the standard if desired (for instance, I think the color description is misleading; it should be more in line with that for the Dark India Game (Cornish) in my opinion). The double laced blues are also very striking. I wish we could also see some Black Barnies, as the ones they used to have in the UK, for they were equally stunning with that gorgeous sheen, yellow legs, and beautiful shape.
I know many people have crossed the Barnies with other breeds -- for a variety of reasons: to darken eggshell color (x Wellies), to "set" the lacing (x India Game, to increase vigor (x Golden Laced Wyandottes or x Partridge Rocks -- the latter also described as "partridge" but clearly different from the specifications for the "partridge" of the Barnies) -- but I have never seen any good specimen resulting from such. I myself crossed Barnie and Wellies and had some nice birds for layers, and even after a second back cross to the Barnies I was not getting anything like a good Barnevelder. If anything good could result from yet another back crossing to Barnevelders I don't know (most likely some improvement though), but I never tried it. Whatever people have evidently been able to achieve over a very short time span in this country is very, very impressive, I think, and doing away with any ambiguity as regards breeding or APA standard description will serve only to support and corroborate the improvements and successes of the serious breeders of the present and the future.

Thanks Andy. Bonnylass I am just down the road from you in Plant City. If we can get some good Barnevelders, we will have to work together to introduce people in our area to these beautiful birds.

I had a much better hatch than I expected. All the eggs that made it to the incubator hatched. The chicks are very small compared to the size of the eggs. I think the layers had poor nutrition based on the size of the chicks and the yoke of the egg that I broke.
There are also some quality issues. I have 2 that are gold chipmunks, so I think they are not a pure line. At this point they are all doing well. I can't complain. The eggs only cost me $5 plus shipping and I might get a few passable birds out of it.

Please check out the photos and let me know what you experienced folks see.

Definitely. And great news on the hatch. I need to get or build a new incubator before I hatch out any more eggs. Mine seems to be leaking. I'm having trouble keeping the humidity up and temp stable. My last few hatches haven't been too good.

Is anybody besides me having problems with the Subscriptions Page? Looks like everything changed. I'm subscribed to several threads and under "Edit My Subscriptions" it shows me supposed to get immediate email notifications but under "Activity" is says I'm not subscribed to anything.

Anyone else having problems?

God Bless,

Does anyone on this thread have or plan to have blue laced Barnvelder chicks for sale that can ship? I've just fallen in love with that coloring & would love to have some chicks if anyone has any. Send me a PM if you can help me out.

I've been hesitant to post anything here as I don't have this breed yet (still practicing with hatchery birds), but I am really impressed with the restraint I have noted here with reference to creating new colors. There has been much discussion on the Heritage Large Fowl thread about all these new colors that everyone is creating in different breeds that just end up being abandoned or worse hurting the breed as a whole by stretching the breeders too thin. As far as I have read there only seems to be interest in creating the blue double laced and the silver double laced colors, and both of these already exist in other countries. Not only that but these patterns are unique to the Barnevelder as far as I know which may generate more interest. Blue double laced is especially intriguing as it complements the original black laced in that they can be interbred without loosing breeding progress (from what I have gathered). Even though solid black and stippled partridge both exist in other countries, my view is they would do little to promote or advance the breed as those color patterns already exist in so many other breeds. Sure you would know that your dual purpose black birds are Barnevelders, but many would think they were just bad black Orpingtons or Rocks until you either told them or they read the coop tag. Just my thoughts. Back to lurking.

That's a nice looking breeding group Pickled! What line is your blue roo? He has nice blue color and what looks like dark blue lacing on the blue.

Anyone else have a nice breeding group to showcase? Its that time of year. I have a batch of blue and silver blue doublelaced in the incubator, only the first batch of the year so it is on the small side, but looking forward to some double-laced progress.

Andy

Nice flock pickled.

I've been trying to get pictures of my pure barnie cockerel. He's trying to mate and my rooster isn't very happy about it. Poor guy gets chased a lot. I have some blues too, but they are still babies - about 10 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom