Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Andy here is one of my blue cockerels I plan on using this spring. He is the biggest of all that I hatched this year. I like his color and size. He is still pretty young and his tail is just growing in.

He's about an inch taller than his father and has pretty nice yellow legs too.

Here is my pure Barnie cockerel. He's 1/2 Johan and has a bit more red to his saddle area.

This guy is a "standard" or "black" cockerel from my blue project line. Nice yellow legs, good size, color and no white fluff.

Last edited:
A couple of "group" shots. Sorry they are a bit blurry it was starting to rain and the camera didn't like how dark it was getting.

Blue cockerel and and a blue pullet. See how tall he is compared to the pullets/hens?

My "black" cockerel from the blue project and his sister.

Thank you Andy and Happy Chooks I am very pleased with my roo overall I could not ask for a better comb on this fella. The blue is a desendant of Joel's blue from Blue Hen Hatchery over a mix of Johan and vB lines.

Hi Trisha

Nice pictures, looks like you are having nice weather. We just ended a cold spell and now have rain again.

I like the effect of the dark hackle and lighter blue male. Nice color contrast. He is a good looker.

The blacks from the blue also look nice. I didn't keep any of those, sold them all as backyard layers or put them in freezer. Perhaps down the road I will keep some, once the get more Barnie blood. Mine just didn't look right when they were feathering up.

Maybe it is the picture but It looks like the black- from- blue cockerel has more pronounced outer lacing on his breast, sort of darker black outer lace and more green sheen black inner. Is that how he looks in real life?

Your blues seem to be showing more of the dark hackle and saddle (less red) of the Ledford line as well.

Here in Oregon:
I am waiting anxiously for my 1/4 Ledford pullets to lay. Talk about patience. These are granddaughters of the pullets I got from you in 2010. I have two of them and they are nice looking. They are on the smaller side but were July hatched chicks, they should grow some still but are nowhere near as large as my Johan pullets. I have another smaller hen whose father was from Gabbards ( part Ledford and part Kratty). Do hens in those lines generally run smaller than Johan? I have too few to make that judgement, but it is true of the ones I have. She has better lacing running higher in the tail, but lays the lightest Barnie egg of all my layers so I think it is the Kratty influence. I also have a 2 year old roo that is her son. He is the mellowest rooster. He was sort of sprited in his first year but man has he gotten mellow. I have him in with my blue pullets, and they are all very mellow.

It turned out that all the birds I bred last year in the silver project also turned out to be blue, so I have a pullet and a cockerel that are silver blues I will be breeding to my black double laced barnies. Neither are much to look at but they are all I have to carry that program forward this year. Hopefully these can be a foundation for a silver double laced line.

Looking forward to seeing what this years chicks look like in everyone's projects

Andy

Thanks for the pics

Andy

I got some pictures today, first the blue babies from Trisha:

My original barnevelder hen - she had a single comb before she scalped it. My other hen was busy dust bathing, so I couldn't get her picture.

My new cockerel - he's 5 months old. A bit of tail fluff, but otherwise, he looks great.

New babies the Barnies just pop right out compared to my Marans. I really enjoy hatching these guys. Lets keep the pics rolling. Andy I like that roo I saw a couple post back I have been trying to caught back up on this thread.

Hi, Is there anywhere other than hatcheries to get double laced Barnevelder chicks shipped to Eastern Washington? I don't have an incubator to hatch eggs myself. I've found them at a few hatcheries but I'd rather buy from a breeder. Suggestions? Thanks!

Hi, Is there anywhere other than hatcheries to get double laced Barnevelder chicks shipped to Eastern Washington? I don't have an incubator to hatch eggs myself. I've found them at a few hatcheries but I'd rather buy from a breeder. Suggestions? Thanks!
I'll have chicks in the spring feel free to visit my web site and leave contact info my list is filling quick. I'll contact you in the spring with availability.

Back
Top Bottom