Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Trisha,

I'm on my fourth year of a bantam silver barnevelder project and I would whole heartily agree that the red leakage is the biggest challenge. This year none of my breeders showed red yet I'm still getting a few normal red barnevelder chicks!! It amazing.

Okay you can't say that without posting pics :D

X2 LOL

Well, I will have to dig up some pictures of the mama's but for now here is a picture of one of my newest chicks that shows no red at all, just black and white. I'm hoping she is 'The One'
1f60a.png
~Al

Last edited:
NICE!!!!
love.gif

no pressure....but just for my own back of the mind planning....Do either of you plan on getting NPIP'd and AI tested?
(Stoopid shipping laws in Virginia! Makes it so hard...eggs are pretty safe dang-it!!!)
barnie.gif

Hi Everyone! Hope you are all doing great!

I have to confess that I continued to read this thread since I got out of Barnies and I have to say that you all have done some wonderful things with your birds! They are GORGEOUS! All of them!

I also must confess that I have missed my Barnies soooooooooooooo much that I broke down and borrowed my bestfriends Johan rooster to breed back to my F1 Blue Laced Barnie hen. What can I say....... I just couldn't take it anymore and my hen is such a great layer and so very friendly I just had to make more.

Last night Ranger, my BFF's roo, had an accident of some sort or got into something that ripped off more than half of one of his spurs. What a bloody mess! It took forever to get that thing to stop bleeding. I finally ended up (with the help of my dear hubby) cauterizing it to get it to stop bleeding. I don't ever want to do that again! Nasty! The good thing is that it was the only thing that worked and Ranger was so calm and well behaved, I almost hugged him for being such a good boy.
I hope he heals fast.

Anyway, just wanted to pop by and say hello since it had been such a long time. Be well my Barnie loving friends!

Please don't make fun! I'm in my first year of raising chickens! I read all the threads but I don't understand the "F1" lingo. I would love to help but have no idea how! I want a Roo but my city won't let me! Don't get me wrong all of my family member have flocks but they only want eggs and don't care about beautiful or friendly breeds. Me on the other hand would love to have a huge Flock of Bernie's. they are so AWESOME and Friendly!

Please don't make fun! I'm in my first year of raising chickens! I read all the threads but I don't understand the "F1" lingo. I would love to help but have no idea how! I want a Roo but my city won't let me! Don't get me wrong all of my family member have flocks but they only want eggs and don't care about beautiful or friendly breeds. Me on the other hand would love to have a huge Flock of Bernie's. they are so AWESOME and Friendly!

All the abbreviations can be confusing, so don't worry about asking questons:). F1 just means she is the first generation after outcrossing to another breed to get the silver gene.

Trisha

Back
Top Bottom