Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Okay, they don't stand still do I have to do candid shots when I give them treats, lol...

Blue Barnevelder pullets, about 5 months old:

DD

I got my first Barnevelder egg today! My pullet had been staking out the nest boxes for a week and finally laid her egg...in the dirt, of course! She is one of my two traditional black barnies. I'm going to post a couple of pictures of my blues soon...

DD
CONGRATS, getting that first egg is always so exciting
celebrate.gif

My good friend from the Netherlands, shared this with me today. It announces today is the Barnevelders 100th birthday! Groot=large, kriel=small.

Last edited:
Today I finally separated my bachelor cockerels from the rest of the flock to give everyone a break and let them grow out. They were really starting to harass the pullets! They are my two blues and one splash and they are quickly closing in on 6 months old, I think. I also separated out one blue pullet that I'm pretty sure I'm going to cull. She is on the small side and something about her is just not up to what I want. My one regular Barnie cockerel is so happy to have the girls all to himself now! The pen I moved the boys into does not have a top on it but I didn't think they would fly...wrong. I found one of the blue boys on the roof of the goat barn at dark tonight. I hope he comes down on the right side of the fence in the morning!

Anyway, I'm glad that is done. I'm getting a feel for which blue cockerel to keep. The splash boy will have to go...I'm thinking soup.

DD

I did that recently, separated and then put all the boys together. I was surprised how mellow everyone was about it. The older roo was pretty accommodating, and its greatly reduced the cockerel nonsense. And I am pleased with some of the boys...I will probably grow out 4-6, as I have lots to choose from. :)

My good friend from the Netherlands, shared this with me today. It announces today is the Barnevelders 100th birthday! Groot=large, kriel=small.

Do you know if this was printed up on posters? If so, would your friend be willing to send you some? Or send me one? I think I could pay with paypal. I would love to have a copy of this, any size, framed on the wall!

Back
Top Bottom