Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Where have all the Barnevelder breeders gone?

It took me about a year and a half to read all the way through this thread. There was a lot of very interesting conversation, and I was disappointed to get to the last page only to find that this thread died a slow death over a year ago.

@tls_ranch ?
@enggass ?
@tanya06horse ?
I don't think too many serious breeders are still on BYC unfortunately. I got my barnevelder from a hatchery. They aren't show quality but I enjoy them none the less.

I was recently gifted this breed over the summer, so that I could supply someone in the city with them. :lol: The chicks turned out to be 6 boys and 1 girl, the chicks she kept were 2 boys and 1 girl, so she's going to bring her girl out and I'll have a trio to work with. At least we'll get a good sampling of what they taste like from all of those boys.

She had sourced the hatching eggs on Ebay and I was skeptical, but they've proven to be healthy and have good vigor. They're getting big and there are a couple of boys that are built right for breeding towards dual purpose.

Based on the one pullet, the lacing needs work but overall they look pretty good. She should be showing me an egg here in 2 months or so.
barnv1.jpg

I have 3 Barnevelder pullet's, but I will be needing a cockerel or rooster for them. If I can't find one, then I will be breeding them with my Naked Neck rooster.
Barnevelders are the most beautiful chickens! I really loved mine, she was from Meyer Hatcheries, but she died last summer. I really miss her.

Attachments

• ECD07645-216C-4B50-B583-108E534E59B2.jpeg
    ECD07645-216C-4B50-B583-108E534E59B2.jpeg
    692.3 KB · Views: 7
  • ABA49515-5E54-412F-BAD3-832F9F829F85.jpeg
    ABA49515-5E54-412F-BAD3-832F9F829F85.jpeg
    438.7 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom