Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

I am trying this year to separate my male and females when they hatch. The process I am using now is by the color of down on the chest. blue/grey females and white/cream males. Do you find that one sex feathers out sooner than the other or are they equal. One of my breeds the females always feather out fast than the males.

Rob
In Idaho
www.rockinr-ranch.com

Hi Rob

Usually pullets are grayish brown breast at hatch and cockerels are snowy white on the breast at hatch, There are some chicks that are in between that keep you guessing until more development. At around three weeks the slower feathering birds have tan shoulder down patches where no feathers have come in these are males and they are also more upright in their stance "tall necks" and by week four the comb and wattles come in stronger on males. The females have more feathers and the shoulder patches will be feathered by age 3 week, the stance of the bird is more horizontal holding the neck closer to the body and there is no development in the comb. I think if you are interested in working towards feather sexing chicks you could select breeders that showed it as chicks or at least band the ones that show sharp distinctions as day olds and use that as one of the selection criteria when picking your breeders.

Andy

I'm new to this thread & to the Barnevelder breed. I've been lurking some lately since I knew I was getting some birds soon. Today I just got 3 blue laced Barnies in the mail & I'm so thrilled to have them & learn about this breed. I was wondering at what age can you really see the blue lacing well on the blue ones?

I'm new to this thread & to the Barnevelder breed. I've been lurking some lately since I knew I was getting some birds soon. Today I just got 3 blue laced Barnies in the mail & I'm so thrilled to have them & learn about this breed. I was wondering at what age can you really see the blue lacing well on the blue ones?
Usually you can start seeing blue when they start to feather out at a few weeks old. You also can see it when they are a few days old and the blue can show on the tips of their primary wing feathers, but that can be hard to see. I have only had one or two dark blues fool me into thinking they were black, otherwise the blue should be easy to see once they start feathering out.

Trisha

Usually you can start seeing blue when they start to feather out at a few weeks old. You also can see it when they are a few days old and the blue can show on the tips of their primary wing feathers, but that can be hard to see. I have only had one or two dark blues fool me into thinking they were black, otherwise the blue should be easy to see once they start feathering out.

Trisha

Trisha, I have 2 with very white breast, 2 with gray breasts ans two with white bibs but gray ish breasts,,,so I am not certain what they will be. I am thrilled with your barnies. I want to order a few more to coincide with another hatch that is being sent early may from Papas. Trisha, can I order just 6 blue eggs, even though I understand they may not be blue?

Hope everyone is enjoying the nice weather ! I wanted to share my excitement and toot my horn a little. This speaks tons for the breed as whole I think they enjoyed seeing some nice Barnevelders.

First time showing my Barnies they did very good. I took 3 standard laced pullets one got Champion Continental BB another got RB and the other came in third. My blue pullet got Champion Non-Recognized and my blue roo won RV under her. Two Champion wins right out of the gate I couldn't be happier.

Congratulations. I'm a little confused though. The coop card says "Champ Large Fowl". Was that champion large fowl for non-recognized? I've just never seen it written like that. I've just seen Best AOV.

All in all, again Congrats! It's nice to see some Barnies getting some attention.

God Bless,

Royce

Thank You Royce

Yes the blue pullet won the AOV and the blue cockerel RV. My standard laced won the Continental class with BB and RB, very pleased with my first shoot out of the gate. More importantly I just want to get this wonderful breed back in the spotlight and work on getting the blue accepted.

Best Regards
Chad

Nice job, Chad. Congratuations. This bodes well for Barnevelders across the country don't you think? I will get my chance in October. Thanks for breaking the ice for us. Aya

Back
Top Bottom