Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Quote:
Gabbard... far as I have heard everyone's goes back to Gabbard. But surely they got them from somewhere.

My roosters and 2 pullets are from Trisha (tls_ranch) here and I have 2 pullets that are pure vb lines. If you decide you want to stay in barnevelders and want some eggs when they start laying, I'd be happy to send you some to help you replenish your stock.

OK, I posted this two other places and looking to the Barnie people for any input. If you want to see the other comments (re: Sand Hill etc.) go to the Wellie thread and the Partridge Rock thread.

Thanks so much for your thoughts!

Hey All,

I've got a "Quail Faced" chick Question.

These are 6 of 50 I got from Sand Hill. I messed up big time by ordering 20 Welsummers, 20 Partridge Rock and 10 Partridge Barnevelders.
barnie.gif

The chicks looked very similar but I think the Wellies were easiest to tell from the others. However these looked like Wellies but could have been Barnies or Rocks.

Let me know what you think. If they're Wellies they wouldn't be to APA Standard right?

1 2
76965_img_2602.jpg
76965_img_2604.jpg

3 4
76965_img_2606.jpg
76965_img_2608.jpg

5 6
76965_img_2609.jpg
76965_img_2611.jpg

Number two may be OK for a Wellie? I banded them all and they are 10 weeks old. I will get photos of them posted today or tomorrow.

I am not skilled enough to answer, but a picture of the top part of their head would help a lot. Barnies should not have a "V". However, if there is a "v" it could be a Barnie crossed with a Wellie. I have a few of those some turned out more like Barnies others more like Welles. I will post updated pics tomorrow that show a big diff
lol.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Gabbard... far as I have heard everyone's goes back to Gabbard. But surely they got them from somewhere.

hugs.gif
I'm so sorry about the loss of your flock. I hope you get the neighbors to pay for them.

Gabbard had KC or the Kelly Cratty lines and later I believe she added some vB line from Christina Ledford (van Barneveld)

Trisha

Quote:
Wow, you would think Sandhill would of marked them for you
th.gif
Those 3 breeds are going to be hard to tell apart at least until they feather out more. You may end up with "V" marked barnevelders and not be able to know for sure until you breed them together. I would keep the darkest male (with the least red in his hackles and saddle feathers) and breed him to the females with the best body type and pattern. The barnevelders should at least have the darkest hackles as the other two breeds don't have dark hackles. I was told that Sandhill's barnevelders may have a bit of Welsummer in them that was introduced back in late 80s before they got that line.

Trisha

Quote:

My roosters and 2 pullets are from Trisha (tls_ranch) here and I have 2 pullets that are pure vb lines. If you decide you want to stay in barnevelders and want some eggs when they start laying, I'd be happy to send you some to help you replenish your stock.

Oh sorry... I miss read it....my BANTAMS are Gabbard. My LF were (and the roosters ARE) From Farmer Johan... he imported his and hasn't crossed them... pure Dutch

Okay as promised, here are my three that are pet quality only, they are the ones standing three in a row. Starting from the left (next to the BO), that girl had a "V", next to her is a Roo that also had a "V", but he is very dark, next to him was the only one out of the group that did not have a "V" but he is pretty ugly. Nice, but ugly. Keep in mind these are all from the same place. Then the handsome little fella to the far right is what I hope to be my breeding Roo. Do you realize how hard it is to take pictures of these guys. Plus they are so much prettier in really life.

82626_100_1705.jpg

Here is a group shot of everyone! I know way to many boys. I am trying to find a home for the lightest colored one.

82626_100_1706.jpg

Here is my fav girl (I only hatched 2 acceptable females)

82626_100_1728.jpg

And here is my okay girl.

82626_100_1729.jpg

Finally my original and first Barnie girl. Not the best quality but I think she is great
lol.png

82626_100_1720.jpg

Took more pictures of my chicks. I'd love to have 2 & 2 but I don't think it was meant to be. I will need to find the boys homes pretty soon.

All 4 heads showing barely. They were a pill for night time pictures, just wanted to show me butts lol.
65421_dsc01350.jpg

This morning picture. The 2 smaller possible roos have alot more pattern on their back, I didn't know that the roos had that much pattern.
65421_dsc01362.jpg

Shannon

Quote:
Wow, you would think Sandhill would of marked them for you
th.gif
Those 3 breeds are going to be hard to tell apart at least until they feather out more. You may end up with "V" marked barnevelders and not be able to know for sure until you breed them together. I would keep the darkest male (with the least red in his hackles and saddle feathers) and breed him to the females with the best body type and pattern. The barnevelders should at least have the darkest hackles as the other two breeds don't have dark hackles. I was told that Sandhill's barnevelders may have a bit of Welsummer in them that was introduced back in late 80s before they got that line.

Trisha

Thanks for the input.

I posted some photos of them at 10wks old on the Wellie thread if you care to look.

Back
Top Bottom