Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Is this the year of boys or what????? Out of my 11 only 3 were girls
sad.png

Well, horray in my case for all the boys this year
lol.png
I have 9 cockerels under the age of 10 weeks running around with 7 pullets. Today the biggest of the cockerels held a hawk at bay from getting the littlest pullets.
ep.gif
All 16 were running loose so they could find cool shady spots under plants because today is so hot...around a 105
th.gif
I just went outside to check on them and saw the larger cockerels standing up to and charging at a young or very small hawk that was only 2 feet away from them on the ground. The lazy dogs (who had been sleeping in the cool garage) saw the hawk at the same time I did and charged and scared the hawk away. They usually are quite good watching for and chasing off hawks, owls and vultures. But, with this heat the dogs don't want to leave their "cool spot" and I don't blame them.

I don't know if the hawk would of been big enough to get the bigger cockerels but a few of the pullets are nearly 3 weeks younger and could of been taken by the hawk. It was the same hawk that I saw "drooling" over my adult chickens last week. It's small enough (not like a big red tailed hawk) that I think my adult roo's would have the hawk for lunch if it tried anything with the main flock.

Needless to say I'm going to keep a closer eye on the youngsters when they are out loose. They know to run for cover the second they see a hawk in the sky, but this one seems to sit in the trees nearby and watches until the chickens forget about it.

Trisha

Quote:
Wow, Steve....they look good. I love the second pic of the pullet's lacing on her breast. I've gotten some good pullets this year and this last batch of cockerels looks really really nice. It's interesting that some breeder's don't want to sell hatching eggs because they might miss out on " THE ONE", but I can't hatch out every egg. So, when I sell some of my extra eggs I'm giving everyone else the same chance as I have at hatching good or even great ones. If you think about it the other way... the customer has just a good as chance as me of hatching "culls" too. But, I would say that most of the chicks still end up way better than hatchery stock and I still think selling hatching eggs is worth the risk. But, don't expect perfection from every egg
roll.png
And if a customer hatches out THE ONE.....well good for them.
big_smile.png

Trisha

Well I do appreciate it. Your stock is beautiful and that's why I went to you for eggs. I couldn't be happier with the results. I ended up hatching 8 out of 10 if you remember. I kept 3 girls and sold the other 5 to a local woman. She wanted a roo or two. She ended up with 4 roos and 1 pullet. Everyone is very happy! Hope your summer is going well!

Quote:
Summer is going good:) except it's so hot right now. I know I said a 105... that's what the local weather said, but my outdoor digital thermometer read 108 in the shade today
th.gif
I have a mister in my main pens for the the main flock. They have been hanging out under it all day. It's neat seeing the water just bead up and run off their glossy feathers. The F1 blue hens don't have that high gloss, dense feathers that the others do so they get wet. Then the silly birds go out and lay in the sun to dry off and go back and "soak" some more. Well what ever works, surviving this heat is the key. Can you believe most of the hens are still laying???

Trisha

I lost the slip of paper that I wrote down what day I put this last batch of eggs in the bator on... I can't remember what day today is either
hmm.png
I know a general idea of about what day they are on but not 100% sure. I hope I will have a better estimate after I candle. This is my first time using a turner so I really need to try and pin down the day so I can take them out on day 18.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom