Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Quote:
Trish is correct. There was a recent discussion about fluff on another thread - Welsummers I believe - and fluff was determined to be a "fault". There was one person who ID'd himself an ABA & APA judge who stated it was a fault and I called another judge I know who confirmed it. Ideally, one would not want to breed a male with fluff unless necessary to do so.

Btw, IMO the first pic is as close to a perfect Barnie roo as I've ever seen.

God Bless,

Quote:
Wow Kim, he's such a looker! And he has the concave back line too. Nice beefy body as well.

Thanks. Yes he is a chunky boy and one of the pullets that just hatched is also very large and chunky, she is bigger than the cockerels that hatched with her. I hope she remains chunky like her dad.
smile.png

Its been a while since I have posted, but I've been busy
jumpy.gif

In coop #1

I ordered some KC eggs, and hatched them out. I now have three roos and four hens from that bunch. They are all looking really good
big_smile.png
I'm playing the egg waiting game with them now, should see the first one anytime now
pop.gif

In coop #2

I have my original "local stock" barnevelders (One good looking hen and roo, with two "lacing-ly challenged" (as I call them) barnie hens.) there are also two "old lady" hens from before I got the barnies (one BR and one BSL.) in this pen as well.

In coop #3

I have eleven adolescent birds from eggs that came from pen #2

3 BSL~ 2 hens (keeping as egg layers.), 1 roo (Freezer Camp)
5 Barnie Roos~ 3 (looking alright) , 2 (Freezer Camp)
3 Barnie Hens~ 1 (looking great staying), 2 (Somewhat Lacing-ly Challenged, might keep on as egg layers or might go to freezer camp.)

I just need to work out my rooster situation now since I have 7 barnie roos to 6 good looking hens. If I get a nice clear day I'll try to get some pictures. Maybe ya'll can help me decide which ones look the best.

Quote:
culling as in kill or get rid?
just asking as IMO killings a bit mean for a bit of fluff sorry
hide.gif
-
getting rid i understand i guess its cause your trying to breed the perfect barnevelder and fluff is not wanted ?

- does the white fluff go away I have one at 16 weeks and he is more white than anythign else! - his feathers are all over the place like hes moulting but i thought they dont till later on its my first baby chicken ever and i seem to be earnign as i go more than what ive read up on so far.

he will not be bread just here for fun and protection for the ladies and his foster mum so no worries he doesn't have a breading line .

thanks

Chickchicks, culling is a necessary part of breeding birds and it means to get rid of the bird. That can include killing and butchering (my freezer is full of excess cockerels) or it can mean selling/giving away the birds to someone else who may use them. I also sell excess males to folks who want homegrown chickens and I sell a lot of females after I've made my picks on who I'll keep to show and breed.

the fluff will not go away and, more than likely, will become even more pronounced as the bird ages. However, that being said, 16 weeks is probably a bit too early to tell what he will turn out like overall. In your case though it really doesn't matter as you say you will not be breeding him and it doesn't sound like you'll be showing either. So I wouldn't worry about it.

God Bless,

Hi ChickChicks

When I cull my Barnevelder roosters they go into the freezer. The cockerels make excellent fryers at around 20 to 24 weeks. This year I kept only three cockerels for potential breeders and they too will likely become dinner after this breeding season. Another 30 to 40 cockerels raised this year became dinner. This is a dual purpose breed and that has traditionally meant used for both eggs and meat. I suppose we have added a third purpose when we keep chickens as pets and show animals. Though I thoroughly enjoy my chickens, there are only one or two that I consider to be pets, all the rest are eggs and meat. If you show chickens you find out fast that many of the birds you breed are culls as show birds or as breeders. But just because my family eats our extra cockerels doesn't mean you have to eat yours.

Andy

Back
Top Bottom