Barnevelder gender tracking. 3 - 9 weeks

Boy or Girl?

• Total voters
I can’t say pullet anymore. 😭 I’m afraid that’s a cockerel through and through. The leakage on the wings, big feet, giant comb and wattles…I’m not holding out much hope.

I would say masculine pullet. Males indeed will have black breast feathers. Females have Laced. It's a Sexual dimorphic color pattern.

Double Laced pattern is Partridge with the Pattern gene. But in the case of Barnevelders, they also have the Ml(Melanizer).
What do you think about the red patches on the wings though? That’s not often found in pullets.

What do you think about the red patches on the wings though? That’s not often found in pullets.
Could be the result of some Autosomal Red. Looking at pictures of Barnevelder males, & they lack red in the shoulders.

Yeah this is by far my most complicated chicken experience. I've spent many, many, many hours searching the Internet for photos of barnevelders of ALL ages and still come up with thinking "Dang, who knows?!"... It's been really fun though. I still have a hard time with the waddles and comb. That's got me balancing on the fence pretty wobbly like. 😂

On the one hand, he/she's got a definite female feather pattern. On the other, those wattles and comb are almost as big as my Barnie hen's were.
DSC02137.jpeg

On the one hand, he/she's got a definite female feather pattern. On the other, those wattles and comb are almost as big as my Barnie hen's were.
View attachment 3771749
That's a pretty girl. Yeah I feel like mine has a comb that is bigger than hers already;

I sent an email off to Privett Hatchery this morning to see what they think about the red on the back, wing coverts, the breast coloring, and the overall development compared to their breeding birds and what they have experienced. They responded and are looking over the photos I sent them already. I was surprised at how quickly they responded to me.

I know barnevelder chicks and growers feathering changes a lot as they develop, but I feel like the red is the biggest questionable part; plus the lack of black in the hackle and breast. The waddles and comb.... imo look way too red for 6 weeks. But as mentioned prior; it could be a masculine pullet! I mean, peaches was the odd one of my SOEs, reddening waddles early on; and wasn't even the first to lay! *shrug*

I'm hoping that Privett will have some good photos to share or at least be able to shed some light on the coloration of the feathers. I breed fish for color, shape, health, etc. But chickens are a little different than guppies and shrimps. Haha

And Privett is also on the fence about gender. That's funny. "It kind of resembles a male, but we're not sure" No comment from them on the red feathering at this point. We'll give this little chicken another week and see how the feathers are looking then!

I'm sure I'll post more photos sometime this weekend. Today I'm stuck in the house; I have some kind of cold that my small human brought me. :(

Back
Top Bottom