Barnevelder hatch-a-long!

Do you have a picture of them today? Now that they are fluffy. :fl
With their silkie friends :love do you know where I can get a day old fowl pox vaccine? šŸ˜¬
IMG_20211208_185310344.jpg
IMG_20211207_113526439.jpg

No, I don't see any to vaccinate any younger than 8 weeks.
For preventative care until then: dust or spray for mites. The articles said fowl pox is spread from mites.
The articles also said that you have to give them booster shots yearly. :eek:
If it were me, I'd just start on a regime of mite control now.

No, I don't see any to vaccinate any younger than 8 weeks.
For preventative care until then: dust or spray for mites. The articles said fowl pox is spread from mites.
The articles also said that you have to give them booster shots yearly. :eek:
If it were me, I'd just start on a regime of mite control now.
Link the articles please? :hmm

Fowl Pox Vaccine
Fowl Pox is an infectious viral illness of chickens and turkeys caused by the pox virus. Fowl pox is strictly a disease of birds and is totally unrelated to the human illness called "chicken pox." The disease typically causes round, firmly adhering scabs on unfeathered portions of skin, along with fever and a drop in feed consumption. This results in a slow growth rate and reduced egg production. On occasion, the disease causes inflammation in the mouth and trachea of birds. These animals may die from starvation or suffocation. The virus is spread from bird to bird through the bites of blood-sucking insects or through wounds and scratches by the birds when fighting.

Fowl pox is easily prevented through vaccination. The vaccine is introduced directly into the skin with a metal two-pronged needle previously dipped in the vaccine. All birds should be vaccinated on the farm, with yearly booster shots recommended. Early spring or fall are the best times to vaccinate.
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/small-flock-vaccination

Fowl Pox Vaccine
Fowl Pox is an infectious viral illness of chickens and turkeys caused by the pox virus. Fowl pox is strictly a disease of birds and is totally unrelated to the human illness called "chicken pox." The disease typically causes round, firmly adhering scabs on unfeathered portions of skin, along with fever and a drop in feed consumption. This results in a slow growth rate and reduced egg production. On occasion, the disease causes inflammation in the mouth and trachea of birds. These animals may die from starvation or suffocation. The virus is spread from bird to bird through the bites of blood-sucking insects or through wounds and scratches by the birds when fighting.

Fowl pox is easily prevented through vaccination. The vaccine is introduced directly into the skin with a metal two-pronged needle previously dipped in the vaccine. All birds should be vaccinated on the farm, with yearly booster shots recommended. Early spring or fall are the best times to vaccinate.
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/small-flock-vaccination
In high-risk areas, vaccination with an attenuated vaccine of cell-culture origin in the first few weeks of life and revaccination at 12ā€“16 weeks is often sufficient.
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/fowlpox/fowlpox-in-chickens-and-turkeys
(This article says 2 shots.)
Thanks! :)

Back
Top Bottom