Barnevelder is not laying!

As I mentioned, they are both 10 months old. So apparently some birds mature faster then others?

hi my Barnevelder is about 20 months old. When I got her about 6-8 weeks ago . she was infested with lice and i treated her successfully. she has not laid an egg since we got her. is this a breed thing or a lice recovery thing? Age?

Last edited:
hi my Barnevelder is about 20 months old. When I got her about 6-8 months ago . she was infested with lice and i treated her successfully. she has not laid an egg since we got her. is this a breed thing or a lice recovery thing? Age?
If she's older she may not lay very often.

They don't get their bigger combs and wattles until they are getting ready to lay. Generally about a month or two before that first egg. It's hard to guess exact age by looking at a birthday, but yours I would estimate between 6-12 months.
Thanks for that! I was generally wondering about comb/wattle size/colour in regard to egg laying. I also thought they need a bit of that before they lay as my 2 BantamX hens who are laying have combs/wattles. My SLBarn is 20 wks right now and no sign of any comb action, yet.

Back
Top Bottom