Barnevelders

Quote:
Is there much difference between the Barns and the Wels?

They look and sound pretty similar to me? I was sold a couple of Barn pullets and a Barn looks more Wels roo. Dunno?
I like the pullets, calm and quiet, nice girls. Roo is nice too, only guy we have, so fine by me.
smile.png
The eggs are darker than the others we get, but not much, but they are a bit speckled. Of course it is early yet, so they may smooth out.

Quote:
I'm not sure if you're asking about chicks, juveniles, or adults? There are some similiarities but really they don't look much alike. Btw, I haven't seen this mentioned yet. Did you know that the Barnevelders were used to develop the Welsummers?

God Bless,

Quote:
Is there much difference between the Barns and the Wels?

They look and sound pretty similar to me? I was sold a couple of Barn pullets and a Barn looks more Wels roo. Dunno?
I like the pullets, calm and quiet, nice girls. Roo is nice too, only guy we have, so fine by me.
smile.png
The eggs are darker than the others we get, but not much, but they are a bit speckled. Of course it is early yet, so they may smooth out.

I have two hens of each breed which I got as chicks last spring. The Welsummers lay darker eggs and lay more consistently. I find them to be calmer too. The Barnevelders have darker feathers but I find both breeds to be very pretty. I like them both!

I find my Barnevelders to do pretty well in the cold here in Colorado. I have been raising them for a few years and like most US breeders trying to improve on the birds I have. I find the Barnevelder more calm and layed back than the Welsummers.

My Barnevelders lay an average dark brown egg for the breeds in the US. They don't look anywhere near a Marans egg color.

Certainly more breeders and people keeping this breed is needed.

I forgot to mention that mine have done quite well this winter. They have access to their coop and none of my birds like to come out in the snow. But the cold itself they've done well in.

Quote:
All of that is pretty much the consensus amongst most Barnevelder Breeders in the USA. Both of the orginal founders/breeders I'm getting birds from lost their original flocks of Barnevelders. One's original flock was wiped out by a disease (don't remember which one) and the other lost his to a coon if I remember right. At least I know he lost his Welsummers to the coon. Anyways, I know the one breeder (who I've yet to get birds from) told me that his Barnevelders were at one time darker than a Marans but aren't now. My breeder's Barnies are lighter than a Welsummers but he is working on it as will I.

I was supposed to pick up my Barnevelders from my breeder today but he wasn't sure that they'd all be hatched out and since it's a 3-hour drive one way, I'm gonna pick them up next Saturday. Plus I am also getting some hatching eggs from Christina Cole in OR and she's working hard on her Barnies too.

The cool thing is that I will have single-laced from my breeder, double-laced from Christina, and then a third line (don't remember which lacing) from the third breeder. So I should be able to do some quick work on improving the breed to SOP and the egg color as well. I know myself, Christina, and the other two breeders are really wanting to see some new blood in the breed that comes from serious breeders and not hatcheries.

God Bless,

Can someone tell me who are the original five folks that got into Barnevelders?
Are any of the lines still pure?

Our Barnevelder pullets have done great here in COLD Wisconsin. They love being outside no matter what the weather and are usually the first of our several different breeds to be out of the coop in the morning.They are calm and laid back, roos are very easy to get along with. The pullets have really done a great job of laying so far, right through the cold. We are hatching bunches of chicks right now! We also have Welsummers and they do lay a much darker egg. I like both breeds but I'm concentrating on the Barnies more since they're so hard to find and need more people raising them.

Back
Top Bottom