Barnevelders!

CoopWitch

Chirping
Jun 18, 2022
Barnevelders. I really want a Barnevelder but I have ready they are very susceptible to Mareks so it is recommended to vaccinate them. The rest of my flock is not vaccinated and I have been advised by breeders and veterinarians to not mix vaccinated with unvaccinated chicks. Those of you with Barnevelders, have you had an issue with Marek’s?

I've never heard that they are especially susceptible to Marek's, but I can assure you Barnevelders are great! My Barnevelder hen is gorgeous and super sweet; my favorite hen of the flock! We have already ordered another chick for this spring, and I'm excited to get another!

I've never heard that they are especially susceptible to Marek's, but I can assure you Barnevelders are great! My Barnevelder hen is gorgeous and super sweet; my favorite hen of the flock! We have already ordered another chick for this spring, and I'm excited to get another!
Is your girl vaccinated?

Yes. The chick we ordered to come in this spring will be vaccinated also.

Concerning your Barnevelder, I wouldn't know if you should vaccinate or not. I am not experienced enough to give that kind of advice :)
Where do you order Barnevelders through? Is your whole flock vaccinated?

Where do you order Barnevelders through? Is your whole flock vaccinated?
We bought our chicks from a local feed store. I am not exactly sure what company they get their chicks from (Meyers, maybe?), but they are all vaccinated before shipment to the feed store. (This is our second year with chickens, so we have only purchased two sets of chicks.)

I've never heard that Barnevelders are more susceptible. I have two Barnevelders that I hatched myself and I vaccinated them (all of my chickens are vaccinated - I would not keep unvaccinated chickens because I don't like taking preventable risks).

As for the Barnevelders themselves, they are eye candy for sure (mine are Double Silver Laced, so extra pretty) but that's their main selling point. They lay infrequently and their eggs are small. They are the first to stop laying in the fall and the last to resume in the spring. They are calm and sweet but skittish and don't like to be touched, even after I raised them by hand and socialized/handled them extensively. They will come into my lap, but if I were to touch them with a fingertip, they'd run away. They are drama queens and very loud... they yell and screech when displeased with anything. Can't say if that's a breed thing or individual, but that's what my two are like.

1705953882349.png

Back
Top Bottom