1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barnevelders?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FaithAnn, Sep 11, 2010.

1. FaithAnn

FaithAnn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2009
    Mobile, Alabama
    I bought these eggs thinking they were going to be double laced barnevelders; however, the color is not even close. When they mature will the coloring get better, or did I get duped?
    \\[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    I'm afraid you got dooped. One moment and I'll send pics.

3. tnchickenut

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    [​IMG]

This is a young hen. From the time they feather out they have the dark black and the lacing is clear. The ones you have kinda look like there is some mixing going on... and I'm afraid it is from their parents. Sometimes people don't realize there is bad genes involved and you may get one or two oddballs... but seems like these are just mixed. Maybe a Welsummer? Anyone's guess. One thing is for sure... they aren't double laced partridge. I'm sorry. Maybe they will lay nice eggs for you!

4. FaithAnn

FaithAnn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2009
    Mobile, Alabama
    GRRRR I was afraid of that. I had just a small hope that they changed after the first molt. I wouldn't be upset if I didn't pay a premium price for Barnevelder eggs only to receive muts.

5. ksf59

ksf59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2010
    north west iowa
    I see from that info that barnevelders come on white,black , and blue laced as well. How would you develpoe a blue laced barnevelder? I don't know if any of that color are avaibale in the US.

6. tnchickenut

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    Quote:I can understand that completely. I bought some PREMIUM eggs and got scammed this last season myself. Can I ask who you got them from? (So I can avoid them) You can PM me if you rather not put it out there like that.

I don't have my breeders up and going right now, but in the spring I will have some very nice Barnies laying. I got a rooster from Farmer Johan (his are Dutch, imported) and Peace of Thyme Farm hens. Looking forward to getting it started but everyone is in mixed flocks right now.

7. tnchickenut

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    Quote:Yes, they come in those colors in Europe, but here in the US.... so far... there is only partridge. I'm not sure how you would develope blue laced, I'm going to play with silver next season. Fingers crossed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by