Barr Rock - 5 weeks old - hen or rooster?

glassgirl119

Hatching
Mar 20, 2017
Hello everyone - first time backyard chicken owner here. I have 7 chickens that are almost 5 weeks old from Rural King that were supposed to be all hens. I'm getting suspicious that two, maybe three of the Barr Rocks are roosters. I'm attaching some pictures. Can someone provide some feedback if they think they are boys or girls? And let me know if you need different pictures to help with the identification. Really appreciate the help!

First two pics are of the same bird.

chicken 1

chicken 2

chicken 3

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

those are all cockerels.

dangit! that's what I was afraid of. Okay, these are off to a friend of mine with a huge flock and I'm going to try and find 3 hens about the same age to try and integrate.

thanks for the feedback!

Hi - I don't see a pic of yours. My pics are actually of three different chickens, but they look at lot alike. You and another responder both thing they're boys. ugghh!

Hi - I don't see a pic of yours. My pics are actually of three different chickens, but they look at lot alike. You and another responder both thing they're boys. ugghh!
Oh yes. Most definite cockerels.

Any single comb birds showing red in comb earlier than point of lay (16-22 weeks) are cockerels. These being barred also show their gender by feather color. Pullets carry one copy of barring gene and cockerels carry two making them with wider white bands. The overall effect is they are not nearly as dark as the pullets.

Hello everyone - first time backyard chicken owner here. I have 7 chickens that are almost 5 weeks old from Rural King that were supposed to be all hens. I'm getting suspicious that two, maybe three of the Barr Rocks are roosters. I'm attaching some pictures. Can someone provide some feedback if they think they are boys or girls? And let me know if you need different pictures to help with the identification. Really appreciate the help!

First two pics are of the same bird.

chicken 1

chicken 2

chicken 3

All cocks.

Back
Top Bottom