Barred Holland breed of chickens

Pics
Jeannette from the ALBC is ready to help out the Barred Hollands as they did with the Buckeyes. She needs a list of breeders and a census of the Barred Hollands we have to work with.

Here is her contact information but she is always on the run and busy and asked if I could help out so please pass this along to anyone you know who may be interested in working as a team. I believe the goal would be to work to bring all of our flocks up to the standard of perfection as well as to promote the breed to bring in more breeders and people who might use the breed for their excellent qualities.

She has been a bit slow to contact me but has stayed with it, I think she's just a very busy person so what I'm going to do is create a listing of breeders and birds. What I need is your full name, location (city and state should be enough), email address for contact information and a listing of the Hollands that you have now, cocks, cockerels, pullets and hens. It would be helpful to include egg color in your flock if they are laying yet and where your flock came from (breeders or hatcheries or whatever lines you know of). I'll take the information and catalog it in a spread sheet or other format so it will make it easier for her. The guidance is helpful but simply working together as a team will benefit the breed I think.

No one should feel they have to join in. This is purely by choice. In the end, I hope to see a larger following for the breed, better and larger flocks with more diversity (translates into vigor/health/fertility) etc etc. and even a possible breed club should a group decide they would like to form one. Anyone from those with 20+ flock to just a trio should be able to contribute.

Thanks
Cathy Hill
Send your information to my email, [email protected]

This is Jeanette's contact information if anyone wants to contact her personally. I know there are a couple of people here who really have gotten this all started and I'd love for them to be up front on this project, I'm just the annoying one who bugs everyone to get going ;)

Jeannette Beranger
Research & Technical Programs Manager
American Livestock Breeds Conservancy
PO Box 477
Pittsboro, NC 27312
919-542-5704 wk, 919-545-0022 fax
www.albc-usa.org
Sent you my info.
Michelle

I've never hatch any before. I just started last year and have one pullet that I'd like to raise others from.
Any suggestions will be helpful. Thank you.

I have 2 Hollands but would like to add a few more I can't have roos because of the neighbors I'm in NJ
Too bad you don't have any nearby so you could take your hens to "visit" every week or so. At this point I would only sell to other breeders because the numbers are so few it's going to be hard enough to get the breed built up as it is. To sell to someone who is sure they will not be breeding is not an option to me.
You can always get chicks from Ideal, you can buy pullets only or buy them straight run, I'd buy the extra cockerels.

Hello
My daughter is in 4-H and is working on a re-breeding project (long term) She is working with Barred Hollands. She has five from one breeder and is hatching out her second batch of white eggs next weekend from a second breeder . We would be more than happy to work with anyone on their re-breeding project. She has a Blog
http://hollandchicks.blogspot.com/
and she has a facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/alice.holland.54?ref=tn_tnmn to catalog her progress and gain interest from other people.

Please feel free to look at what she has been working on. ....and yes our last name is Holland in case you get to the pages and start wondering.

Suzanne Holland

I've got 15 BH eggs from Pocketfarmer in the incubator ready to hatch on or around Wednesday (5/21). I'm anxious to see what I end up with. If all 15 hatch and survive I'll have a nice flock of a total of 25 before culling in the fall. I plan to keep both flocks separate for two different lines. It looks like its time for another addition to my coop!

I've got 15 BH eggs from Pocketfarmer in the incubator ready to hatch on or around Wednesday (5/21). I'm anxious to see what I end up with. If all 15 hatch and survive I'll have a nice flock of a total of 25 before culling in the fall. I plan to keep both flocks separate for two different lines. It looks like its time for another addition to my coop!
Keeping my fingers crossed! Happy hatch day!
jumpy.gif

smoothmule: I have four hens and one rooster. Only one hen is laying white eggs, the other three are laying cream colored eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom