Barred Holland breed of chickens

Pics
Where is everyone? I'm just not seeing any support for this breed and concerned.

hu.gif

Last edited:
Hello
I am reading your post and cheering you on. My daughter just hatched out her second batch from Pocket Farmer(very White eggs) thank you Sue. Alice hatched 9 out of 11 eggs. The two that did not hatch were fully developed and did pip but died in the process. The ones that did hatch are healthy and happy. The first hatch is at four weeks now. They are healthy with yellow legs. Good size and very sweet. Their coloring and barring is nice. Not at all like our barred rocks, yet clear. They are holding their own as far as growth and size comparison to our other standard size chickens of the same age.

Hello
I am reading your post and cheering you on. My daughter just hatched out her second batch from Pocket Farmer(very White eggs) thank you Sue. Alice hatched 9 out of 11 eggs. The two that did not hatch were fully developed and did pip but died in the process. The ones that did hatch are healthy and happy. The first hatch is at four weeks now. They are healthy with yellow legs. Good size and very sweet. Their coloring and barring is nice. Not at all like our barred rocks, yet clear. They are holding their own as far as growth and size comparison to our other standard size chickens of the same age.
Thank you for replying! I was seriously getting worried that the interest was gone here. I have gotten one egg so far, 2 hens are looking like they should be laying or very near, the combs are very red now and more wattle than the younger pullets. The egg was white and all mine came from white eggs so I'm hopeful. If you get an abundance, I would like to buy a cockerel or two.

I too read posts every day. My BH are at 17 weeks now (4 cockerals and 5 pullets). One cockerel in particular stands out. He is larger than the other 3 and has had sweeping tail feathers for several weeks now. His cape and saddle feathers are developing very nicely also. A couple of pullets are looking quite good now and a couple are a lot smaller. I also have 10 3 week old BH chicks from Pocket Farmer that are really starting to take off. I hope to keep these two lines separate once they reach breeding age and am looking forward to input from the ALBC. I'm definitely going to need an addition to the coop as I also have 7 buff and gold laced Brahmas and some Jubilee Orpingtion eggs in the incubator, Oh my poor wife! My son says that mom better learn to like chickens if she and I are going to spend time together when we both retire in a handful of years. He might be right.

Hello Everyone! So glad to hear the chick updates!
thumbsup.gif

I am plugging away over here, knee deep in chicks! I hatched out 100 this spring, held back two pullets and waiting to select a cockerel to breed my line for next year. With the roosters I'm selecting for size and conformation, so it helps for them to be larger before culling. That means we have a lot of chicks running around! Still working on egg color, some are very white and those are the ones I use for incubating.

We don't have any other breeds on the farm, which makes it a little easier to control the breeding program. I don't know how you all manage with multiple breeds!

Hope everyone is enjoying this warmer weather! Looking forward to next year's hatch already!
smile.png

Hello
I just wanted to get some info. As some of you know I posted before about possibly having a Barred Holland Cockeral. But some of you posted back. And told me they only come yellow leg color and red Ear lobes.
Is it possible. That I have a Cookoo Maran. He does not have feathered feet. And does not seem to have that in his genes. As I have bred him to my White Leghorn hens.
Any info would help....Thanks.....NJ Nick

Just not getting into this breed like I thought I would and not seeing any support so I am selling all but a pair. I will be selling one cockerel and 5 pullets nearing the point of lay, one is younger. I'd prefer they go to breeders. I'll be advertising them elsewhere as well. I'll post when they sell. They can all go together or separate. PM for more info.

Last edited:
I wish you wouldn't do that. I think that part of the lack of enthusiasm is due to the fact that there are so few of us. Every single one of us is important to this project and hopefully the ALBC will take up the project soon. I myself have 10 birds at 20 weeks of age and 10 chicks that are a month old. I couldn't be more excited about this project. Once I cull I'll be looking for other people to work with and to exchange information with. The only active breeders I know of are you and Pocket Farmer. It is our job to talk up the breed and get them in the hands of people who will also be good stewards of the breed. It will not be easy because this isn't a flashy breed like the orpingtons but it is certainly worthy of our time. Don't throw the towel in now.

MHollow, I too live in southwestern ny. Im on my second season with BHs. Would be interested in maybe exchanging some birds and or info. I trapnested this spring and culled all hens that didn,t lay white eggs. I,ve got two small hatches from these white eggs. I love these hens, they are really good layers and do well ranging, but the cocks are kind of ornery. Are your roos mean towards people? I think as far as enthusiasm for the breed, most people are not going to stick with a breed for very long, the grass is greener thing. I will stay with them for a few generations at least until I can tell if I am improving them at all. BHs are the only chickens I have. My roos are on the small side for a dual purpose bird, so trying for more size. mrquacker

Back
Top Bottom