Barred Holland breed of chickens

Pics

This is the pic I already had of my roo and one of the hens. I'll get better pics tomorrow, close up. Maybe someone else will add their opinion too

No, they aren't large...I would consider them to be a medium sized bird. Next to my heavies they look smallish.

I had read about the ear lobe color discrepancy in an article, but couldn't find a whole lot about it other than it was considered to be a disqualification whether it was half white or whole white in cockerels (can't quite remember the details).
Doesn't quite look like a Holland but I'm not seeing any white in the ear lobes? Didn't you say they had white?

skin
Doesn't quite look like a Holland but I'm not seeing any white in the ear lobes? Didn't you say they had white?
Have to admit, I'm fairly new to trying to breed Barred Hollands to standard, and even to body descriptions. The hen doesn't have the white, but the roo does, on the skin by his ear. In the pic, straight back from the eye is a white spot. Is this not the ear lobe?? Or is the lobe literally below the ear?? I've never had to worry about ear lobes in my other breeds...ugh!!
hu.gif
Major, major learning experience for me.

In the poultry American Standard of Perfection 2010 it mentions the disqualifications are if the ear-lobes are more than one-third white in cockerels and pullets and more than one-half white in roos and hens. I took that to mean that some white was, in fact, okay. Please advise.
smile.png

skin
Have to admit, I'm fairly new to trying to breed Barred Hollands to standard, and even to body descriptions. The hen doesn't have the white, but the roo does, on the skin by his ear. In the pic, straight back from the eye is a white spot. Is this not the ear lobe?? Or is the lobe literally below the ear?? I've never had to worry about ear lobes in my other breeds...ugh!!
hu.gif
Major, major learning experience for me.

In the poultry American Standard of Perfection 2010 it mentions the disqualifications are if the ear-lobes are more than one-third white in cockerels and pullets and more than one-half white in roos and hens. I took that to mean that some white was, in fact, okay. Please advise.
smile.png
I'm not sure if you know what the ear lobe is. I'm not seeing any on the cockerel

I don't know how the weather is where each of you are but in southwestern New York State it has been raining since Sunday June 23rd. My chicken yard is a mud pit. I decided to let the birds free range in spit of the threat of the foxes. So far so good (knock on wood). It is supposed to rain until this coming weekend. I'm thinking about building an ark!

I lost my biggest and most promising BH rooster during the night last night. I have my roosters in what I call a hoop house made with sturdy wire and a tarp cover. It looks kind of like a mini 4' x 8' green house only in blue. I've used it for years with out a single loss. It appears a raccoon was able to reach through the wire last night and get hold of the rooster. Needless to say the rooster with the most potential is no more. I am extremely disappointed.

I lost my biggest and most promising BH rooster during the night last night. I have my roosters in what I call a hoop house made with sturdy wire and a tarp cover. It looks kind of like a mini 4' x 8' green house only in blue. I've used it for years with out a single loss. It appears a raccoon was able to reach through the wire last night and get hold of the rooster. Needless to say the rooster with the most potential is no more. I am extremely disappointed.
I am so sorry to hear that. Don't know what else to say :(

Mhollow, I have a year old roo over here, your welcome to him if you come up short on roos. He was my backup for this year, but I am not going to keep him over again. quack

MrQuaker, Thanks for the offer. That is very kind of you. I still have 3 roosters from the group left and it looks like I've got 2 or 3 from the second line of 6 week old chicks I have..

Back
Top Bottom