Barred Holland breed of chickens

Pics
Hello all BH enthusiasts,
I have recently begun raising chickens for the purpose meat and eggs. I am though interested in the BH as a dual purpose heritage breed and would like to incorporate a small flock into my current system. I would ultimately like to improve the breed as well as taking advantage of the Holland's duel purpose nature. I was hoping to contact any private breeders in my area. I am currently in WNY between Rochester and Buffalo. Please private message me if you can help.

Hi all, I just wanted to check in on this thread as a fellow Barred Holland breeder. Well breeder may not be an accurate term as of yet, I purchased my stock from Ideal last spring and hoping to get my first hatched chicks this coming spring. I have 4 roosters and 12 hens, all very hardy stock and so far prolific layers. My goal is to increase the numbers of this very rare breed and improve their lines. Does anyone have the SOP to share? I can't find it listed generally anywhere and can't join the APA right now. Thanks and hoping to be able learn from you and share my experiences as well.

Hi all, I just wanted to check in on this thread as a fellow Barred Holland breeder. Well breeder may not be an accurate term as of yet, I purchased my stock from Ideal last spring and hoping to get my first hatched chicks this coming spring. I have 4 roosters and 12 hens, all very hardy stock and so far prolific layers. My goal is to increase the numbers of this very rare breed and improve their lines. Does anyone have the SOP to share? I can't find it listed generally anywhere and can't join the APA right now. Thanks and hoping to be able learn from you and share my experiences as well.
Nice to see someone in the western states having these birds. How is their egg color?

Some of my girls are laying some really pretty ivory colored eggs (which I adore, but know isn't to the SOP) but I have some that are laying nearly white eggs. This spring when I get some hatchings I'm going to pay special attention to those whiter ones and band or identify them somehow to put together breeding pairs for the following season to try and strengthen the white egg lines.

Some of my girls are laying some really pretty ivory colored eggs (which I adore, but know isn't to the SOP) but I have some that are laying nearly white eggs. This spring when I get some hatchings I'm going to pay special attention to those whiter ones and band or identify them somehow to put together breeding pairs for the following season to try and strengthen the white egg lines.
I tried last year with shipped eggs from Parish Farmgirl and the shipping from Louisiana was too much for the eggs as I only got 1 to hatch out of 30 eggs

I'm going to try my luck with hen hatched eggs. I'll let you know how it goes. I have a single non-Holland in my group of girls a buff orphington, who is crazy broody all the time. It was nice, she kept our eggs from freezing during the really cold spells. We always eat her eggs (when she's laying) because it's easy to spot her brown ones and if I don't have any broody Hollands this spring she's going to be my lil Holland incubator.

One of the breed characteristics of the Barred Holland, is that the hens have a non-broody nature. Less broody=more eggs. Surrogate broody hens are a good option and I had a customer hatch eggs with a buff orpington quite successfully. Good luck with your hatch!

I love my one girl sure wish I had a male and couple more. Would be such a hoot to show Barred Hollands out here. Ill have to keep on trying.

Back
Top Bottom