Barred Holland breed of chickens

Well, I have one with white store eggs on the previous page, but I will work on getting one with brown egg. Hopefully I can get one White white and one of the slightly cream white, I don't know if you will be able to see the difference in a photo. Then the question is if it's that close, does it really matter? Guess I'm very picky when it comes to that.

There is a breeder in GA currently selling eggs on Ebay. They're NPIP certified and seem legit. You may be able to contact that seller (search barred holland and it should be the first one) and discuss possibly getting breeding stock, eggs or chicks from them when you are ready to bring in other lines.

Hello Barred Holland followers! We have a Barred Holland cockerel 8 pullets and one chick. {as well as 6 crazy and kinda mean white leghorn pullets, but that's a story for a different day} I purchased the Hollands as day old chicks in March 2011 from e-fowl on-line. I was told they were coming from Texas, but the shipping label said Colorado. The roo was a last minute decision and I got the impression somewhere along the line that he may not have been from the same clutch as the ladies. (or maybe this is wishful thinking on my part). In any event, my Holland eggs are on the medium side and a beige to white color. Jen Scott was kind enough to lead me here and suggested I post my pictures. I believe my boy is gorgeous, but of course I am biased and would love to know what you lot think. oh, I am in Southeastern PA.

109936_2011-11-16_105201-1.jpg

109936_2011-11-10_102738-2.jpg

Wow. Having an interest in this and a few other heritage breeds, and being a newbie, I'd love to understand the difference between cuckoo coloring and barring. To my untrained eye they seem quite similar.

Quote:
Cuckoo is the British term for barring, which they also use for P;ymouth Rock type barring.. There are different types of barring for different breeds. Because we have learned cuckoo from the Marans, which brought the term from France "Coucou" we have perceived it as a different color. Dominiques and barred Hollands have this type of barring where the bars are "coarse and irregular light and dark bars that are short of positive black and white" according to the Standard of Perfection..

So, according to my research, it is just two different names for the same thing.

Okay, got one more pic of my boy, this time with one of his ladies. Really, any input, I'd like. Especially if it's, 'hey silly, that bird is a Domonique! Not a BH'. Since they could have strapped a beak on a cocker spaniel, called it a Barred Holland, and I would have said, 'thank you, pleasure doing business with you.'

109936_photo.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom