Barred Holland breed of chickens

Pics
Hi all newbie to breed program,I received 21 hens and a roo form Ideal about 2 months ago.I love my babies.Their barnyard chatter is so cute.I am also a member Livestock Heratige C.I also want to help in keeping this lovely breed-my ones and only from becoming extinct.So far,them seem to be gaining weight nicely. I live in Texas..Thanks Ramona

No, June wouldn't be too late to raise from chicks. Of course, it depends on where you are and what facilities you have, but as long as you can get them up to about 8 weeks before it gets cold you'll be okay. If you can put them out with a coop and a light for warmth, you can go even later than that. I will probably be hatching well into the summer.

Jen

jenjscott thanks for the info we will be moving to kansas on june 1st. Im so excited i've always dreamed on living in the country and its finally coming true. I just hope to find some bh chicks
Michelle

We had a fox come through at dawn on Wednesday morning. She got the roo and one of the pullets from my trio, along with 3 other chooks. I'm broken hearted.

Michelle: There's a BYCer in Maine who puts her's out in winter at 6 weeks, no if, ands or buts. You should have yours in plenty of time. Congrats on getting to the country life! and good luck with your move!

Hi- I am roaming around BYC and learning about all the different breeds out there. I had no clue how many breeds there are! I really like these barred Hollands, the descriptions of them seem perfect for backyard flocks which makes me wonder why they are so endangered. Anyway just wanted to say Hi and I look forward to learning more about this breed.

Hi- I am roaming around BYC and learning about all the different breeds out there. I had no clue how many breeds there are! I really like these barred Hollands, the descriptions of them seem perfect for backyard flocks which makes me wonder why they are so endangered. Anyway just wanted to say Hi and I look forward to learning more about this breed.
The whole idea of the Barred Holland was a dual purpose bird that laid white eggs so the farmers producing white eggs for the market could also get some benefit from the cockerels. Shortly after they were developed, the advent of the large laying houses and commercial production of eggs made them obsolete(along with the local egg-producing farmers), and they fell by the wayside. Most of the ones available today still need to get a lot of size on them to be dual purpose.

Back
Top Bottom