Barred Holland breed of chickens

Pics
Hello Barred Holland Enthusiasts!

I have three 6 week old chicks (EE, Buff Brahma, and what's supposed to be a Barred Holland) form Ideal. I also have a 4 week old Black Copper Marans chick. This is my first time keeping chickens and I'm loving it! However, my Barred Holland chick is showing no signs of a barring pattern except for the smallest amount of white on some of her wing feathers (not even visible unless she spreads her wings). Also, her legs are mostly slate colored. Can anyone tell me whether any of this can be considered normal for a Holland chick at this age? I'm beginning to be very concerned that I got a chick that's not a Holland; I'm thinking perhaps she's a Production Black.

Thank you!
Crystal
Astoria, OR

Hello Barred Holland Enthusiasts!

I have three 6 week old chicks (EE, Buff Brahma, and what's supposed to be a Barred Holland) form Ideal. I also have a 4 week old Black Copper Marans chick. This is my first time keeping chickens and I'm loving it! However, my Barred Holland chick is showing no signs of a barring pattern except for the smallest amount of white on some of her wing feathers (not even visible unless she spreads her wings). Also, her legs are mostly slate colored. Can anyone tell me whether any of this can be considered normal for a Holland chick at this age? I'm beginning to be very concerned that I got a chick that's not a Holland; I'm thinking perhaps she's a Production Black.

Thank you!
Crystal
Astoria, OR
Which hatchery did you order from?

Contact the hatchery and get a confirmation on what they sent you.

Hi! I just received my BH from Ideal last week. I thought I would post a few pics for everybody. I am going to try to get some nicer ones of everyone in the grass today. I got some Black Astralorp and EE as well and while I think I can tell which are which now I will have to wait until they feather out to be certain. I know which ones the EE are atleast.
big_smile.png
The BH breed standards had everything I was looking for in a chicken so I am hoping to eventually breed them and get a larger flock.

yippiechickie.gif

photo.jpg

2012-06-29_10-51-14_282.jpg

Hi! I just received my BH from Ideal last week. I thought I would post a few pics for everybody. I am going to try to get some nicer ones of everyone in the grass today. I got some Black Astralorp and EE as well and while I think I can tell which are which now I will have to wait until they feather out to be certain. I know which ones the EE are atleast.
big_smile.png
The BH breed standards had everything I was looking for in a chicken so I am hoping to eventually breed them and get a larger flock.

yippiechickie.gif

photo.jpg

2012-06-29_10-51-14_282.jpg

Great news! If you are wanting to breed yours, I would suggest not keeping a cockerel from Ideal. It would be wise to acquire an improved male from a breeder that has a few years working on them. Your male is 50% of your flock. Using a better quality male will improve your flock and save you years of work.

I would love to have a few birds from a breeder as well. Do you have any recommendations? A breeder who is somewhere close to NC/SC would be nice. From my searching on the sales forums no one seemed to be selling any, even eggs.

We have twenty- one very young hens and one roo. Our roo - Bernie-is a fine specimen in love with our female Rouen duck. I have never seen a more love sick fellow.I absolutely adore this breed. They are so mellow, have the sweetest, most lyrical barn song. My hens have just started laying. I was very surprised at the small size of the eggs.They look like pigeon eggs. I am a fan of these chickens and will do whatever I am able to help preserve this precious part of history. I have great pictures but so far unable to post them on this site. Any suggestions and info appreciated. Ramona

You need to have something like 10 posts before you can post pics, it helps prevent spam. Pullet eggs are usually smaller, the eggs will get bigger over time. I hope your rooster isn't so much in love that he forgets what he's there for!

Back
Top Bottom