Barred... Or Mottled Cochin Chick

Not what I was hoping to hear but that's fine. Do you have photos of chicks of yours so that I know what to look for in future? Is there a range of down color at all? This is the pic I saw that gave me hope...
That *is* interesting. I've never seen a mottled chick look that way, but I don't breed at a hatchery level, so I don't get a lot of variation. You can look at mine and all the mottled chicks have the same basic pattern.

Post updated pics in a new thread in a few weeks. I'll be watching for it. Hope she turns out to be mottled for you. It sounds like that's what you're hoping for. :fl

That *is* interesting. I've never seen a mottled chick look that way, but I don't breed at a hatchery level, so I don't get a lot of variation. You can look at mine and all the mottled chicks have the same basic pattern.

Post updated pics in a new thread in a few weeks. I'll be watching for it. Hope she turns out to be mottled for you. It sounds like that's what you're hoping for. :fl
Sure is! Will do! TY :)

Mottled cochins tend to have more white baby fluff I thought. I think it's barred. :)
Definitely not barred...possibly birchen. I hear that birchen a d black look identical as chicks...have to wait until 6ish weeks to see silver feathers pop up. I never looked to see if the barred chicks (spot on head) had feathered feet. Just assumed they were bantam BRs or Dominiques. Now I'm kicking myself that I didn't look and grab one if it was a Cochin :/ And no more room for another. *sigh*

Sorry to hijack thread but I picked up a handful of bantam cochins a couple days ago...3 were black. 1 is all black but 2 are the typical black / white down pattern.... the lightest of the 2 does not look like a mottled chick. She definitely looks like a black bantam cochin....but she had white feathers on her feet. I know that's typical of black chicks and that she'll eventually molt those out. Then I noticed white wing feathers...again...I saw the same on my SGs a couple years ago...random white that molted out. But this little girl has white on both sides and one is tipped. Dare I hope she's just an unusually dark downed mottled chick? I found one photo online of hatchery mottled chicks and while most were predominantly light with black patches, 1 looked just like her ❤
I agree with Overo Mare. Looks black. Here's one of my Mottled Java chicks and all 16 had similar chick down and feathered out in the same way. Yours just doesn't have enough white ☹️

Attachments

• 0CAD22CA-D02E-4065-B078-AF8AF63E328E.jpeg
    0CAD22CA-D02E-4065-B078-AF8AF63E328E.jpeg
    435 KB · Views: 4
I've currently got two chicks that I'm holding onto. One blue and one black mottled. Patterns can vary of course, but this is typically about how they all look.
20200522_173442.jpg

Still super interested to see yours fully feathered! Give us updates. ❤

I've currently got two chicks that I'm holding onto. One blue and one black mottled. Patterns can vary of course, but this is typically about how they all look.
View attachment 2166365

Still super interested to see yours fully feathered! Give us updates. ❤
I think the pic I saw was probably the result of a photoshoot in which the employee responsible for grabbing chicks had one too many the night before. But I will update either way so that others with similar hopes will have a thread reference. There's always a chance she's Birchen which would be cute..though that hatchery quality has very little Silver. And if she's black, that's fine too...I love the color black. Was just hoping for more variety and mottled are my favorites. Wasn't exactly planning on getting chicks or I would have prepared myself with what to look for. Went to pick up feed and suddenly came home with 6 chicks 😂😂😂

I have a young chick that I thought was going to be solid black.
61059205469__B602AC45-B633-4071-984C-F27AD6FE736A.jpg IMG_5873.JPG
These pics above are when he was about 1 week old.
And below is him at around 4 weeks old where he's gotten some white feathers grown in. Most obviously on his feet and a few in his wings, and now some in his chest it looks like.
IMG_4900.jpg IMG_4889.jpg
(I keep calling all my chicks a 'he' but I don't know if they're boys or girls yet...it's just kinda habit)

Sorry for the tread hijack, but I was sold these chicks as bantam cochin (no colour was mentioned), but I've had several people on here say they look more like sablepoot chicks. What do you think?

Attachments

• 20200523_201258.jpg
    20200523_201258.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200523_201255.jpg
    20200523_201255.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200523_194006.jpg
    20200523_194006.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200523_193653.jpg
    20200523_193653.jpg