Barred... Or Mottled Cochin Chick

QuinnQuinn

Hatching
Apr 27, 2020
So I was supposedly getting 3 barred cochin bantams....

And 1 if them is this gal... She definitely has frizzle but I think she is mottled and not barred.

My first time with cochins & frizzle so not sure if frizzle is messing with pattern or it one of those oops.

She is 4 weeks.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20200528_172159.jpg
    IMG_20200528_172159.jpg
    568.2 KB · Views: 48
  • MVIMG_20200528_172131.jpg
    MVIMG_20200528_172131.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 16
  • MVIMG_20200528_172214.jpg
    MVIMG_20200528_172214.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 14
Sorry to hijack thread but I picked up a handful of bantam cochins a couple days ago...3 were black. 1 is all black but 2 are the typical black / white down pattern.... the lightest of the 2 does not look like a mottled chick. She definitely looks like a black bantam cochin....but she had white feathers on her feet. I know that's typical of black chicks and that she'll eventually molt those out. Then I noticed white wing feathers...again...I saw the same on my SGs a couple years ago...random white that molted out. But this little girl has white on both sides and one is tipped. Dare I hope she's just an unusually dark downed mottled chick? I found one photo online of hatchery mottled chicks and while most were predominantly light with black patches, 1 looked just like her ❤
I agree with Overo Mare. Looks black. Here's one of my Mottled Java chicks and all 16 had similar chick down and feathered out in the same way. Yours just doesn't have enough white ☹️

Attachments

• 0CAD22CA-D02E-4065-B078-AF8AF63E328E.jpeg
    0CAD22CA-D02E-4065-B078-AF8AF63E328E.jpeg
    435 KB · Views: 4
I 100% believe your chick is black. Mottled is a pattern I breed and I have never seen a seemingly black chick feather out mottled.
Not what I was hoping to hear but that's fine. Do you have photos of chicks of yours so that I know what to look for in future? Is there a range of down color at all? This is the pic I saw that gave me hope...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200529-104903_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20200529-104903_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 9
Not what I was hoping to hear but that's fine. Do you have photos of chicks of yours so that I know what to look for in future? Is there a range of down color at all? This is the pic I saw that gave me hope...
That *is* interesting. I've never seen a mottled chick look that way, but I don't breed at a hatchery level, so I don't get a lot of variation. You can look at mine and all the mottled chicks have the same basic pattern.

Post updated pics in a new thread in a few weeks. I'll be watching for it. Hope she turns out to be mottled for you. It sounds like that's what you're hoping for. :fl

That *is* interesting. I've never seen a mottled chick look that way, but I don't breed at a hatchery level, so I don't get a lot of variation. You can look at mine and all the mottled chicks have the same basic pattern.

Post updated pics in a new thread in a few weeks. I'll be watching for it. Hope she turns out to be mottled for you. It sounds like that's what you're hoping for. :fl
Sure is! Will do! TY :)

Back
Top Bottom