Barred Plymouth Rocks vs. Rhode Island Reds

Barred Plymouth Rocks or Rhode Island Reds?

• Rocks

Votes: 23 67.6%
  • RIR

Votes: 11 32.4%

• Total voters
Because of my extreme love of the barred pattern, next year I will be getting Hollands. Hollands are the rarest American chicken breed, so I want to breed them to save the breed. They are almost the exact same as rocks but lay white eggs and have gray-brown bars instead of black.

They are so rare, in fact that the white variety of Hollands have gone extinct :(
I have a crazy dream of restoring the variety through careful breeding of barred Hollands and maybe white Plymouth Rocks? They wouldn't be pure, but it would make me happy to know I did my best for this awesome breed.

I think Production versus Show Quality should be evaluated. Because quite frankly production Barred Rocks and production Rhode Island Reds are garbage. Exhibition quality birds are a different matter though. That mahogany gene in the RIR really makes a difference.
That is a great point. I do love the deeply colored RIR, but as I said before, good quality rocks are striking!

Rocks are way less cranky.

I have 8 rock pullets, 1 cranky old mutt broody hen 3-6 years old, and a speckled Sussex cockerel about 6 months old.

I’m finally satisfied with the flock. Broody sets again in spring, she will be getting two speckled Sussex chicks and two light Sussex chicks. Hoping to find another broody so I have a backup.

I LOVE RIR's.
Heritage are beautiful.
But my first RIR was just hatchery quality, and I loved her so much. She'd sit in my lap for hours. Then there was Ben, my Heritage RIR cockerel. He was such a sweetie and a lady-killer too.
Where did you get the heritage birds? I'm a little obsessed with heritage breeds right now :p

Back
Top Bottom