Barred Rock Chick

9d84runner

Songster
6 Years
Jul 20, 2016
Yuma, AZ
We purchased 4 barred rock chicks who were about 2 days old when we got them. They were all pretty much black but my son picked one with a little more white around the eyes. Is it a roo or just more white?

Last edited:
Does look like a pullet, my concern is the red glow----looks like a heat lamp glow?? This Pullet sure does not need to be kept close to 100 if that's whats happening. Remember starting around 95---drop the brooder temp around 5 degrees per week to wean them off the heat.

It's a heat lamp raised pretty high. I turn it on at night. It was low 40's and the night before they huddled in a tight ball so I just have it on cold nights. Its not on during the day at all. They are in the garage and gets pretty cold in there. We had a freeze warning the night before so just to be safe I turned it on at night but they still huddle together.

Last edited:
You did not say where you got it----probably a cross---that happens ALOT.
We got her from a feed store kind of far from our home. Our feed store we always go too wouldn't have chicks for another few days so we picked 3 up from another to try them out. The guy didn't know squat and I've heard mixed reviews about the place so I wouldn't be surprised if she is some sort of mutt.

Back
Top Bottom