Barred rock cockerel or pullet?

All4Eggz

Jesus Loves You🌵
Apr 23, 2021
Massachusetts
So I hatched out this guy earlier this year. His fellow hatch-mates are already VERY mature compared to him. From this year's hatch, I got a very lucky 2 boys out of about 10 chicks. (8 females, I'm shocked :))
I was 100% sure he (the barred rock) was a boy until his brother started crowing. His brother even mates now.
He's been mating and crowing for more than a month.

This barred rock doesn't mate or crow. He seems to be slow developing.

He has every male characteristic, but he doesn't act like one. I know with barred rocks, usually males are lighter than the females, and this guy is lighter than my females. By looks, he resembles a male. By actions and development, he doesn't. His comb has not grown much in a while.

I want second thoughts. I'm still 99% sure he's a male, but could he possibly be a female??

Is it possible for a lighter colored barred rock to be a pullet?

I added his same aged brother next to him for comparison.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_5988.JPG

IMG_5986 (1).JPG
IMG_5991 (1).JPG

@TheOddOneOut @Overo Mare @Rhodebar Lover @MysteryChicken

So I hatched out this guy earlier this year. His fellow hatch-mates are already VERY mature compared to him. From this year's hatch, I got a very lucky 2 boys out of about 10 chicks. (8 females, I'm shocked :))
I was 100% sure he (the barred rock) was a boy until his brother started crowing. His brother even mates now.

He has every male characteristic, but he doesn't act like one. I know with barred rocks, usually males are lighter than the females, and this guy is lighter than my females. By looks, he resembles a male. By actions and development, he doesn't. His comb has not grown much in a while.

I want second thoughts. I'm still 99% sure he's a male, but could he possibly be a female??

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 2889891

View attachment 2889886View attachment 2889888
Cockerel.

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 2889891

View attachment 2889886View attachment 2889888
He has very long legs! 😂 What is the rooster photo bombing the first pic? 😍

Age is important. Also, is the bird wet or is that how its feathers lay naturally? I'm thinking cockerel but more info would help.
The bird is wet.. It was raining that day.

I'm not sure on age - I lost track :lol:

The pullets from that group are almost ready to lay - they are squatting for the roosters.
But I think most of them will start after winter.

I think they were all hatched probably early June, making them a little over 20 weeks old.

The bird is wet.. It was raining that day.

I'm not sure on age - I lost track :lol:

The pullets from that group are almost ready to lay - they are squatting for the roosters.
But I think most of them will start after winter.

I think they were all hatched probably early June, making them a little over 20 weeks old.
Okay, I thought as much. The wet feathers make it difficult to tell if there is male feathering or not. I just can't tell if it has the narrow, pointed male saddle feathers. The tail certainly doesn't look male. I guess I would wait and see how it goes before deciding here, but in all likelihood it is a later developing cockerel because of the paler coloring.

Back
Top Bottom