Barred Rock - Coloring of cockerel vs. pullet

megg902

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 24, 2011
Bastrop
I bought 5 BR from Tractor Supply. Was told they were all pullets but now thats it has been a while I think I have a boy in the mix. "He" is about the same size but lighter in color. His black is closer to a dark grey. And he has a brighter wattle and his comb is also brighter and larger. Chances it's a boy?? I'm at work right now...(dont tell
tongue.png
)..... but I will post pics when I get home. Thanks for the help!!

Sounds like you have your eye on things. The roos show themselves fairly quickly and the difference at 5 weeks is very obvious. Side by side with a pullet the roo stick out. A lot of roos have black streaks down the leg fronts, so you cannot rely on that alone.

69833_dscf3153.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the little "guy". The more i looked at him tonight the more i think he is a he for sure. I forgot to get a shot of his legs but they are pretty thick and mostly yellow but do have light black stripes down the front.
93200_br_cock.jpg

93200_br_cock_ii.jpg

How old is he in those pics? I am curious because I am hoping that my "girls" are not actually roos as I suspect. I only have two though and they look the same so nothing to compare them too!

I have the same questions about my Barred Rocks. At least I think they are BR's. I got them from a hatchery as a "hatchery choice pullet special". They are 6 and a half weeks old.

This one is darker and the comb is pinking up already.

Pullet?

This one has strange feathers that are frizzy looking.

I have the same questions about my Barred Rocks. At least I think they are BR's. I got them from a hatchery as a "hatchery choice pullet special". They are 6 and a half weeks old.

This one is darker and the comb is pinking up already.

Pullet?

This one has strange feathers that are frizzy looking.

all pullets

Back
Top Bottom