Barred Rock cross Barring genetics question

Oncoming Storm

Crowing
Jun 3, 2019
So I have a barred rock/NN cross chick. The chick had a spot on its head and someone said that since the rooster wasn’t barred that meant it was a cockerel. Cool. Um but other NN barred rocks I’ve seen have the male barred rock coloring of the single bar. My chick has the double bar gene. So how does that work?
C42707BF-A3D9-4410-B707-951271D203F1.jpeg

Looks single Barred to me, just better patterning is all.
Messy single barring is called Cuckoo.
No
When the barred gene is on a slow feathering breed its called barred.
When the barred gene is on a fast feathering breed its called cuckoo.
On males whether it's barred or cuckoo if it has two copies its called double factored. Single copy is called single factored.

No, not a sex link rooster.

I was sharing how the Barring gene works for sex linkage.

The hen will only produce Barred males, & solid females if bred to a solid colored male. I hope this explanation isn't confusing.
Okie that makes sense. His comb is already huge so there was no questioning he was male I was just curious of the genetics involved.

Just because its poor quality barring doesn't mean it's cuckoo. And cuckoo surely doesn't imply the bird has one barring gene as you stated originally.

My understanding is that the sex-linked barring gene is inherited through the mother. If the mother had the barring gene the offspring will have sex linked barring. However if the mother didn't have the barring gene then all bets are off. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

So I have a barred rock/NN cross chick. The chick had a spot on its head and someone said that since the rooster wasn’t barred that meant it was a cockerel. Cool. Um but other NN barred rocks I’ve seen have the male barred rock coloring of the single bar. My chick has the double bar gene. So how does that work?
View attachment 2321929
Looks single Barred to me, just better patterning is all.
Messy single barring is called Cuckoo.

Back
Top Bottom