Barred Rock cross Barring genetics question

Looks single Barred to me, just better patterning is all.
Messy single barring is called Cuckoo.
No
When the barred gene is on a slow feathering breed its called barred.
When the barred gene is on a fast feathering breed its called cuckoo.
On males whether it's barred or cuckoo if it has two copies its called double factored. Single copy is called single factored.

No
On males whether it's barred or cuckoo if it has two copies its called double factored. Single copy is called single factored.
..............huh?

No
One of My Cuckoo Marans was actually the fastest to feather out of the birds I have raised, the other Cuckoo maran I have feathered out slower, but yet has the same Cuckoo pattern.

My sister's EE feathered out slow, & has a Cuckoo pattern.

The cuckoo pattern doesn't really seem to be picky about feather growth rate.

I hatched out another Cuckoo EE who feathered out at the same rate as my Orpingtons which are slower to feather out, & the EE is still cuckoo.

Just because its poor quality barring doesn't mean it's cuckoo. And cuckoo surely doesn't imply the bird has one barring gene as you stated originally.

My understanding is that the sex-linked barring gene is inherited through the mother. If the mother had the barring gene the offspring will have sex linked barring. However if the mother didn't have the barring gene then all bets are off. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

@Bigfish502
Barring is sex linked. Its like any other gene with males. They have two genes. One from their mother and one from their mother. It can be the barring gene or non barring gene. They will pass one of their two genes to all offspring.
They can have 2 non barring genes and not be barred. They can have 2 barring genes and be double factored barred. Or they can have 1 barring gene and 1 non barring gene and be single factored barred.
Females only have one gene so they either have barring and are barred or non barring and aren't barred. They only recieve their gene from their father and only pass it on to their sons.

Back
Top Bottom