Barred Rock cross breeding

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Hillschicks, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Hillschicks

Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Im a bit confused with how barring works... This is the way i understand it

If we take our buff brahma rooster, and cross it with our BR hens... The barred chicks are male, and the all black are female... Is that correct??

Does that hold true for any rooster thats not white dominant mixed with barred rock hens??

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas

Yes, a buff brahma rooster over a barred rock hen will behave the way you said with the male offspring barred and the females not barred. Buff can be kind of tricky though. I’ve seen photos of that cross (or maybe it was a Buff Orpington) where the pullets were not solid black but had some buff color in some spots.

Tadkerson gives a great detailed explanation of how the barring works in the first post in this thread. You may need to read it a few times and study it, but the information is there. It’s a great post.

Tadkerson’s Sex Link Thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

A rooster gives a copy of all his genes (remember that genes come in pairs and he gives a copy of one of the genes in that pair) to all his offspring, male and female. A hen is not so generous. She is stingy and a sexist. She gives all of what she has to her sons but withholds the sex linked genes from her daughters.

So if the hen has a sex linked gene that is dominant and both the rooster’s copies of that gene are recessive, then the female offspring will get the recessive from the Daddy and the male offspring will get a recessive from his Daddy and a dominant from his Mommy so Mommy’s dominant gene will show.

That’s the way barring works. Barred is dominant and not-barred is recessive.

The genes work this way no matter what else is there. But the other genes have to allow that gene to show its effects. That does not always happen. In the case of chicks, the barring shows up as a spot on the chicks’s head. A chick with barring will have the spot; a chick without barring will not have the spot. But it’s quite possible that the down color will be the same as the spot color, maybe all over or maybe just around the head. There are a whole lot of different genes that can mask that spot in the down.

Same type of thing can happen in the adult plumage. The barring is always there if the gene is there but you might not be able to see it. A pure white chicken is an example of that and that white can come from either dominant white or recessive white if the recessive white gene pairs up. Even silver can partially mask it. The barring will show up in the darker patterns but not show on the base white body. A Delaware is an example of this.

regalado70 likes this.
  3. Hillschicks

Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Thanks, that was pretty informative and i will check that post you listed... Preciate it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by