1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred Rock egg color change

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Coop Deville, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    My three barred rocks started laying in April. The eggs were the classic brown color, basically the same color as store-bought brown eggs. Around June and July we got about one egg a day from each hen -- each afternoon there would be three in the nesting box.

Then a few weeks ago, they started laying infrequently. Now we get one new egg every two or three days, a drastic decrease in production.

Even more strange, the eggs are now cream-colored instead of brown, and slightly larger than before. Anyone familiar with this situation?

No changes in diet whatsoever. Did the heat finally get to them?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hens lay in cycles the excessive heat of this summer may be responsible for the decrease in production, but even more significant is the shortening day length. Towards the end of a cycle a hen's egg frequently lighten in color. They may molt, take a break from egg laying, and then when they resume laying eggs in the spring they will once again be a darker brown.

1 person likes this.
  3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Agree.

4. Coop Deville

Mar 19, 2012
    I never knew! That is very helpful. So I might have to wait until spring until more eggs? What about my Wellies and EEs, which are 27 weeks now? Will they wait until spring to lay, or might I get some eggs before the days get too dark?

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Your 27 week old girls will still lay when their bodies are ready - they will molt next fall.

6. Coop Deville

Mar 19, 2012
    Much obliged. Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by