Barred Rock Eggs

Quote:
wink.png
Well "lucky" anyway!

Quote:
Yes, you'd think if it was pigment, it would only be brown. I hope she continues to lay these, but if not, she is still a darling girl and very chatty, so she is a keeper.
love.gif

Quote:
From what I hear, the whole coloring of brown eggs can wash off. It is a coating that the hen puts on the egg as the last step of the process. Wash hard enough and the brown will be removed, and the outside of the shell will be the same color as the inside. I think our speckles are pigments that are deposited the very last.

Now that you say that, I do remember reading somewhere that you can wash the egg pigment off with enough elbow grease. I think I also learned at the same time that I shouldn't bother washing the eggs, assuming they out clean came from a clean nest. A friend suggested the gentle scrubbing when I was new to chickens. Now I know it is a pointless extra chore.

KristyAz - As for your hen and her pretty speckled eggs, I doubt she will grow out of it. The hen I referenced earlier laid speckled eggs her entire life. Enjoy!

We adopted 23 barred rocks about a month ago and I have gotten some speckled ones like those. I wondered the same thing. They are pretty cool though.

Roxy must be a good name for a barred rock. I have one too, and also a Tyson, but they are both named in honor of boxers because they are big ole bullies. Roxy is named for Rocky Balboa, and Tyson for dear ole Mike.

Hello every one. Does any one have barred rock hatching eggs for sale. Looking for a dozen and don't want hatchery eggs. Please send me a private message if you do.

Back
Top Bottom