Barred Rock Gender?

MrsBoyd

Hatching
Apr 2, 2015
Hello, may be too soon but I would appreciate any guesses, i have a sneaking suspicion this may be a cockerel. He/she is just a shade under 3 weeks. It walks far more roo like than my other chicks, and when they are startled all the chicks hide behind this one (dont know if that means diddly squat but it is kind of cute :) )

First pic show shape and size but the color is washed out, the second one is more accurate on color ;)

I don't know if others would agree but when I buy barred rocks from a straight run, I have learned that the males are lighter in color. They seems to be more silver/black as they start to feather out. The spot on their heads are irregular too if they could be male. It is difficult to tell by the pic. Initially, I thought male but the last pic makes me think female. You will know more in about a week or two. :)

I don't know if others would agree but when I buy barred rocks from a straight run, I have learned that the males are lighter in color.  They seems to be more silver/black as they start to feather out.  The spot on their heads are irregular too if they could be male.  It is difficult to tell by the pic.  Initially, I thought male but the last pic makes me think female.  You will know more in about a week or two.  :)

Yup that's tends to be true but since it is a bit of a hit and miss method most place just sell as straight run as it's easier :)

Back
Top Bottom