Barred Rock genders? updated - 5 weeks

here are some updated photos, was wondering if anyone has any more to offer on the gender of these guys? im pretty sure at least one is a roo, but im hoping i didnt get all roos =/ please someone tell me i didnt get all roos! lol 1 roo is ok, 4 roos are NOT! 5 weeks now and the banty
I'm going to disagree only because I think you have 2 pullets, 1 definite cockerel and I'm on the fence with # 3. But I'm leaning more towards pullet. Your silkie is just way to young to determine gender.

Uuuuggghhh! Only my luck would give me 4 roosters!

Not at all, plenty of people get the same problem. ;) But, albeit slight, there is still a chance they're not all male. They look all male to most of those who have replied but if you post again when they're 6 months old you probably will know for sure, unless maybe you meet someone in the meantime who knows how to vent sex. I knew a woman who felt their abdomens to tell gender and she was wrong about two out of 10, not a terrible ratio I guess, but the probing sure looked like it hurt, they went pale and drooped limp in her hands as she did it, some of them gasping. Vent sexing may be a better method.

Best wishes.

Strange development, I'd have expected BR roosters to have more crest, but the level of facial redness suggests they are males despite their crests. It's variable so I don't know 100% for sure either way... But my vote is still on male right now.

Best wishes.

I have a couple BR's.... Any guesses on mine? They are around 3weeks,give or take a couple days ;)
Bird #1-

Bird #2

Bird #2

Bird #1

are you sure? they are just tractor supply birds, so i wasnt expecting quality, but would like to know for when i list them
They only have one copy of the barring gene, so their father was not a Barred bird. Yes I am sure.

Notice how they look more like the female in colour?

If they were girls I'd say they are just hatchery Barred Rocks, but since they are boys (yes again I am sure) - they can't be pure Barred Rocks. Hatcheries and feed stores sell Black Sex Links. The boys are coloured like a pullet Barred Rock.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom