Barred Rock genders?

MJSwat

Hatching
5 Years
May 26, 2014
I didn't think it would be so hard to figure out if we have roosters or hens with Barred Rocks, but we are puzzled by two of our five. We are also kind of wondering if they are all indeed Plymouth Barred Rocks, or if they are a mix of that and something else. We got them from the straight run bin at Tractor Supply in mid-March, so they would be about 2-2.5 months old now.

This one we are wondering if it is a rooster-- it's tail feathers are starting to curl over in the back, but I have found a number of photos of Barred Rock hens that look quite like this one and the one below.

And, our other puzzler, also has tail feathers that are starting to curl over.

This one we are 99.99% sure is a hen. A very darkly coloured one, but a hen nonetheless.

Same with this one, who would not stay still-- apologies for the poor quality photo. 99.99% sure it is a hen.

This one we are pretty much positive is a rooster? He feathered quite white with black bands, which is what we had read was the distinguishing factor.

However, as shown in the above and below photos, he has some red feathers! Does that happen with Barred Rocks, or would he be mixed with something?

Thanks so much for your help! :)

welcome-byc.gif

I see three roosters and two hens. Your last rooster especially is more likely a black sex link ( some Red rooster over a barred Rock hen) with the funky color and the red leakage coming in.

Back
Top Bottom