Barred Rock Hen, free to good home? (Wisconsin)

Justanotheruser

Hatching
12 Years
Aug 30, 2007
I have a beautiful barred rock hen, 23 ish weeks old, that I just can't keep. She was hatched and has been hand raised in our kitchen, and has a pretty good attitude (unless she sees that you are holding something yummy), and we really love her. She comes when she's called and loves to sit on laps and be petted.
The problem is that she is just all alone (unless you count her only friend, who is a beagle). I can't house her out in the cold all by herself and I am having trouble keeping a chicken coupe in my kitchen.
We let her run around the kitchen alot, but I think it's really unfair that she can't do normal chicken stuff (you try scratching on a laminate floor!).
I would only consider giving her to someone who lives close enough that I could bring my daughter to visit once or twice so that she could get over the loss of her chicky baby a little easier. We live in Madison, Wisconsin and would consider anybody within an hours drive.
She has not laid any eggs, but she has not crowed, has no saddle feathers, and her tail doesn't have that roo swoop, so I am 98% sure of her being female.
Please e-mail me if you have an interest.
Kris
[email protected]

Last edited:
I really, really could not just ship this little lady far away. My daughter's cat died last spring, and she is kinda still emotional over it. I couldn't just take her pet away without the option for her to see the new home, meet the people and have a place to point at as we pass and say "our chicken lives there".
Sorry.

I wish you where closer. We have 3 barred rock girls. I hope she gets a good home
smile.png

Do you ever get close to the Twin Cities? I have a large coop and some BR hens and misc others, who all are laying. I have 33 hens so she would become a outdoor chicken at a farm with a large run. If interested let me know if you cant find someone closer.

I will take her, if you still need a home for her.
I live in Belleville Wisconsin 15 to 20 minutes south of madison.
I have 18 other hens, ages 4 months to 2 years.
I live on a 14 acre farmette with an ag. zoning.
Our chickens are treated more like pets and they LOVE IT!

Back
Top Bottom