Barred Rock HEN (I hope)

she is a she as she gets closer to the age of egg laying her comb does get bigger and it does turn red so does her face before long her face and comb will be bright blood red I have 2 BR's and mine are hens

It looks like a black sexlink cockerel or at least a cross. If that is a rose comb, could be a sexlink cockerel with a Dom as a mother. It's not a BR, at least not a pure one. Of course, I could be wrong and it could be an odd pullet. If it is a pure BR, it's a pullet. Males have much larger combs. If a Dom, not sure. The coloring is way off for a pure BR or Dom, IMO.

Just saw the age. Are you sure of that? What is the comb? Rose, pea or single? Sometimes, my pullets do have a long tail at the age you stated, then they molt it out and look girly.

Here is a 15 week old BR pullet, though she is lighter than most pullets:

DCP_3898.jpg

Here's another at 17 weeks old for comparison:

DCP_7850Mandy.jpg

60612_bob.jpg
This is Bad Attitude Bob, 16 wks today

60612_barred_rock_hen.jpg
This is one of 16 hens, 16 wks today. All look the same. Some redder in the comb than others.

Hope this is helpful. You have to keep in mind, they're like people, all the same but all different.

Last edited:
Here are a couple more pics and a closer pic of his/her comb that might help y'all help me decide about this mystery chick.
59584_jane_comb.jpg

And one with her and my roo.
59584_jane_and_roo.jpg

I have some Wyandottes, which are my only experience with a rose comb and Jan's is definitely different from the wyandottes, but you could fill several libraries with what I don't know about chickens (or don't know yet! I'll get there).

I'm only going to say roo because all my BR pullets/hens have black down the front of their legs. All the boys had yellow ones just like yours. Sometimes you really can't go by the comb or the coloring. One of my BRs is really light gray, the other dark. I had a cochin that everyone swore up and down on here that she was a he because of her large red comb at 8 weeks. She gives me an egg everyday
smile.png

Quote:
I agree. The comb, barring, and body type don't look correct for a pure br. I think you have a mix there but I think it's a pullet.

I also think it's a mix.
It looks boyish in the body, and girlish in the comb. Go figure.

Im really thinking its a male of another breed... maybe even a maran...but with my hens ive notices that around 16 or soo there vent begins to get very large compared to the roos ...go tart getting ready to lay..compare her vent size to that of your roo of the same age to see if her/his appears bigger or of the same size... also go ahead and feel for spurs..

Back
Top Bottom