Barred Rock HEN (I hope)

That helps. It looks like the comb you get when you cross a pea comb with a single combed breed. To me, the body is too lean to be a Dom or BR, but could be an EE/BR cross. Time will tell on the sex, but my impression is still male at this point. Let us know if it crows or lays an egg!

I went and bought another BR pullet (I really hope this one is!) She is much darker than the roo and the mystery chick. The owner says it's a she (I've heard that one before). She has a pretty big comb and wattles. But they are pink and not bright red like my roo. The owner says she is about 4 months old. I will post a picture when my wife gets back from shopping -- camera in the car.
I'll just have to wait a while for the mystery chick. If she's a hen, then she is welcome to stay.

I have a BR pullet that looks exactly like that. Their faces redden up a little when they get close to laying age, about 18-20 weeks from what I hear. My girl is estimated to be about 15-16 weeks & started pinking up in the face/comb area about 2-3 weeks ago. It's not really "red", more like somewhere between a pink and a red.

My vote is for pullet.

This is my new hen I bought this morning. PLEASE tell me it really is a pullet and that it really is a BR.
59584_chicken_abigail_frizzypants.jpg

59584_chicken_abigail_frizzypants2.jpg

This is EXACTLY what my BR hens looked like at that age. My roo stood way more upright at that age and definitely acted like a roo. I think it's a pullet. Just speaking from experience
wink.png

Hmmmmm I trust Speckledhen's judgement. But my 4 BR chicks are almost 13 weeks old now and I have 3 cockerals and 1 pullet. Your chick looks like my pullet except that I bet that it's a EE x BR pullet with that comb.
hmm.png

P.S. That new hen of yours I bet is a mix but it is a hen.
smile.png

Some birds are just confusing, especially when you aren't sure of the parentage. I hope it's a pullet and it could be, but it is not a pure BR, if at all. I'm not always right and I'm not 100% sure of the sex of your bird.

rnorris, how old is that bird supposed to be? It has odd barring and no dark down the leg fronts, which usually indicates female. Males have little or no dark wash down the fronts of the legs (pure BRs only...crosses muddy the waters). I'd have to see the back area in good light to know; that would show shiny, skinny saddle feathers if it is male.

Cynthia (and others),
I've had the mystery bird for 3 weeks. I was told that "she" was 3 months old (but I question the reliability). So that would put her roughly 15 weeks old, give or take. The comb was not pink when I bought her so that has all happened in the last 2 weeks. She is onl a little smaller than my BR roo that I've had since a chick so i know he is almost 16 weeks.
She didn't cost very much, so I'm not out a lot of cash. I'm not looking for show quality or breeding (perhaps hatch some chicks for fun and raise a few for myself). I would love to know more about what cross "she" might be, but I'm not really concerened that she's a mutt -- as long as she is not mean and lays me good eggs! Having raised the roo from a chick, we're rahter fond of him and we just don't have space for 2 BR roos. We'll wait and see.
I took a close look at the comb. It does have points (very small ones) and they are not lined up in a row, just kind of a random circular pattern. There are some solid black feathers in the tail, but the tail is not curving yet. The legs are very very bright yellow, and nothing that I see as spurs (but I don't see any on the other roo either).
So if it is some kind of sex-link, that means it is definitely male??? And the owner would have know all along what he was selling??? I hold no grudges for honest mistakes (I've made plenty myself) but to knowingly deceive someone for a few bucks!
I do thank everyone for thier help and advice. I will try to post a follow up when I know more about this mystery chick.

Thanks,
Robert

Back
Top Bottom