Barred Rock - Hen or Roo???? Pic heavy

PetRock

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Camino, CA
We are new to chickens and having the best time getting to know our new babies! My BIL gave us our first little chick and we went out a week later and bought three more! Yes, we are addicted already! Our oldest chick is a barred rock that we hope is a she. We live in the city limits and there is a noise ordinance that a roo would definitely violate! We would appreciate any help you can give us in determining whether she is a she or a he. Of course, we are attached to her/him already! She is my baby and sits on a towel in my lap and watches TV with me! If she ends up being a roo, I'm going to enjoy him until he crows and then do my best to find him a good home. I suggested to DH that we move outside the city limits so I can have a roo but he thinks that I've gone over to the dark side!
lol.png
Thank you so much for any help you can give us!

Here are a some pics at various ages. I had a hard time taking pics without a flash so some pics are with flash which washes out her/his color. Pet just won't stand still for anything so the ones inside without flash are slightly blurry!
smile.png

55754_dscf7623.jpg
4-5 weeks old

55754_dscf7787.jpg
7 weeks old

55754_fourgirls2010april17.jpg
7 weeks old with her three little sisters who are 4 weeks old

55754_img_5395.jpg
8 1/2 weeks old

55754_img_5479.jpg
9 weeks old

55754_img_5614.jpg
9 weeks old

55754_dscf7883.jpg
9 weeks old w/flash

55754_dscf7892.jpg
9 weeks old blurry w/o flash

55754_dscf7907.jpg
9 weeks old blurry w/o flash

Last edited:
I'm more of a chicken guesser then a chicken sexer, but I don't think you're going to need to convince dh to move, looks like a pullet to me.
smile.png

Pullet. I even went back into my old 9 wk photos of my little BR girl, who had a lot more red to her comb and wattle than yours at that age. Aren't they one of the most inquisitive, fun breeds??? I love my barred rock!

Thank you so much, everyone! I had no idea that chickens would be so fun! My cousins grew up on a farm and I loved to go there as a child. I remember collecting eggs in the old chicken coop that probably was there when my dad was a little boy. It always scared me because we would often startle a chicken in the nesting box and she would fly out at us. Now that I have pet chickens, I have a new appreciation for how wonderfully entertaining they are! Our barred rock is my favorite! She is so friendly and has so much personality! Of course, I love our three little girls, too! They are all so different and have their own little quirks!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom