Barred rock: hen or rooster?

I'm thinking hen at 15 wks I don't see any saddle feathers and my BR roo at that age had much, much bigger comb and wattles and much lighter color.

Roo in for ground hens in back ground. (note the saddle feathers)

18 wks old

I could be wrong ???

I'd say definitely hen and it's the color that gives it away. Here's a picture of two of my BR hens, both 14 weeks. On the left is Mary Peepins, absolutely female but her comb and wattles are considerably larger. She is alpha chicken and I think that plays into it.

Ok thanks.
celebrate.gif

Chick Lovers,

Do you have an updated pic perhaps? Your original post and pics are about 2 weeks old by now (I think 1 week 5 days) so if you have an updated pic, that might give us updated things to look for. My BR cockeral, who looked exactly like yours 2 weeks ago and is his same age, has changed a bunch since you started this thread and I first replied. He really matured in 2 weeks, both how he looks (long tail, saddle feathers) and how he behaves. He's the boss rooster for sure! Fun to see him developing doing rooster-like things. Just today, he started something new. If any of the flock gets separated, he goes and finds them and does this little stomping dance to get them to move towards wherever the rest of the flock is. It's like he's herding them togehter. Seems like he's going to be a good rooster.

On the other hand, my 3 BR pullets pretty much still look the same as they did 2 weeks ago. A little bigger and more red coloring in the face but no bigger wattles or combs, pretty much the same in behavior too.

Guppy

Since he isn't the boss rooster would that affect his saddle feather and spur growth?
( This is probably a stupid question but I am still trying to figure chickens out)

Last edited:
Since he isn't the boss rooster would that affect his saddle feather and spur growth?
( This is probably a stupid question but I am still trying to figure chickens out)

No, not a stupid question at all. What happens is that they each individually grow at their own rate and to their own individual genetic makeup. Some breeds mature faster than others, some individual birds do to. But what happens is the ones that mature faster and get their waddles, saddle feathers and spurs, are bigger, etc. first, tend to be higher in the pecking order. However, as they are maturing, the pecking order changes. So, the first to lay an egg may rise in the pecking order. The first rooster to crow raises in the pecking order. I understand that generally, once they all mature and they establish their mature bird pecking order, it doesn't then change that often. Unless a chicken is added or subtracted from the flock and then some parts of the pecking order gets reshuffled.

What can happen is that the more mature birds tend to eat first and/or get more food or the better food. This can further propel them to grow faster and thereby maintain their higher standing in the pecking order. Just the way nature works, the strong tend to get stronger. One thing many people do is provide multiple feeders/waterers to make sure all chickens can get their fill. I have this but I still have 1 hen who's just very low in the pecking order. I try to hand feed her from a cup on the side each morning and night just so I know she's had a chance to eat.

Guppy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom