Barred rock: hen or rooster?

Not much change, so hen?

Well... here's what I see. The tail is not long and arching, which indicates hen. There are no distinct saddle feathers which indicates hen. The coloring to me looks like a roo, as the barring is more white than black, which is indicative of a roo. For the coloring, the best way to tell this is to look at the your BR hens and this one side by side as this is the best way to see the color difference. The comb and wattle look like a roo but the lack of long growth behind the ears indicate hen. Others have said hen.... so go with hen. If she/he doesn't start crowing and lays an egg, she's a hen! If she starts crowing (like a real crow, some hens try to crow but not very well) and never lays an egg, he's a roo.

My BR hens (I have 3) and my roo look so different and act different, it's just obvious. For me, yours is harder to figure out. Great luck, I hope it's a hen!

Guppy

Well, with the most recent pics, I can estimate that its a rooster. But just to b sure, check with a vet.

I really don't know, but I think pullet is more likely. The coloring is roosterish, but the shape is more like that of a hen.

Last edited:
Most protective roo i ever had was a huge BR. He was here for 6 years and in that time never lost a hen to predators. He took on a hawk and a racoon and lived. Also ran neighbors dog off more than once. He developed severe arthritis earlier this year and could no longer walk. I will always have the scare on my shin to remember him by.....lol

Back
Top Bottom