Barred rock: hen or rooster?

I also have a gender question - I think I just heard the most prominent BR chicken (the tallest in the picture) start what sounded like a young crow this morning. But I was pretty sure s/he was a hen! Thoughts?

Rooster, Just compare him to the others. His comb and waddles are double the others and has more color, this shape is more upright and he's at least 1# heavier.

Love, love, love your feeder.

Last edited:
Took this just now of the suspected roo. The feathers are pretty pointy. So sad I can't keep them! But the coop is crowded as it is. And thanks for the compliment! It used to be a bird feeder:)

Just realized it's really hard to tell the feathers from that picture. But I agree with you… He's a roo.

Pretty sure this is a hen... about 24 weeks old. But I have my doubts

This is the other one I have I got them the same day. There seems to we about a week different in development

I have one that looks like the original posters. More white than dark and those long feathers on the tail. They could be twins. What did yours turn out to be? Bird is 15-16 weeks old.

I know this is an older thread but here's my two barred rocks that are 18ish weeks. I think one is a rooster. Any opinions?

Back
Top Bottom