Barred Rock laying age

I am VERY new to this , but the lady I got my chickens from said that they onset of laying is determined by body weight, not age . She said my red and blacks stars would have to get to approx 4 pounds where the BO and RIR's needed to be around 6 pounds . Now there are I am sure a lot of other considderations , overall health , weather living conditions , quality of food etc etc
wink.png
... But that is the extent of my newbie knowledge . Hope it helps .

My Barred Rock had her first egg at 125 days, a day before 18 weeks old. My other Barred Rock has not started laying yet, but I hope she starts soon!!!!

My 3 BR's are 18 weeks old. Two have red combs/face; only one is doing the squat; none are laying.

My sex links started laying at 16-17 weeks...don't think the weight has anything to do with it...my BO's are larger than the sex links but 2 weeks younger and they are just now getting red combs.

I have a Barred Rock pullet who is 19 weeks old today
smile.png
she has not gotten real red yet, so I figure she will lay closer to 20-21 weeks. I also have a 24-28 week old Brahma I am waiting on too
smile.png

I can't stand it!!!!
barnie.gif
My girls are all about 21 weeks, and we have no eggs!!!!
he.gif
I think it must be the heat, they have red combs and wattles and look like big girl hens... but still nothing!!

Back
Top Bottom