1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred Rock laying age

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Young MacDonald, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Young MacDonald

Young MacDonald Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Hi,

I know that the average age that hens start to lay is 20 -24 weeks, but I also know that some breeds lay at earlier, some later, some right in the middle, etc.

What has your experience been with Barred Rocks. Are they early layers?

Thanks.

2. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I have two. One started at 16 wks, the other at 20.

1 person likes this.
  3. Suburban chick farmer 09

Suburban chick farmer 09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    St. Louis MO
    I'm new to chickens but my 2 BRs were the first to lay out of the 5 breeds I have. I think they layed at around 19 weeks.

4. Young MacDonald

Young MacDonald Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Thanks for the responses. My two Barred Rocks look so mature, but they aren't laying yet. They're 20 weeks - hopefully they'll start soon.

5. norcal

norcal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Northern California
    My BR's first egg was laid today, at 18 weeks. Unfortunately it was eaten, probably by them all. [​IMG] So bummed, I've waited MONTHS. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I don't really think that the breed of chicken determines when they should start laying. Each bird is different. no matter what their breed is. Some start laying earlier than others and some later. The red combs and wattles and the squat are good signs when they are about to start laying.

1 person likes this.
  7. ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Northern Colorado
    I think my BR is going to be our first layer - she is the biggest one and seems to be developing her comb/wattles before the other hens... We'll be at 20 weeks around labor day.

Quote:That's a huge bummer, norcal [​IMG] Where do you think she layed? Did or do you have golf balls or fake eggs in the nest boxes?

8. norcal

norcal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Northern California
    The egg was on the floor, in the corner behind the waterer - I'm guessing that's where she laid it, as it would have been hard to get it there w/o breaking it first.

Last night I put in one real golf ball, two plastic golf balls (hollow), and a large plastic Easter egg - I taped the 2 parts together.

They've all been pecking at the balls, hopefully they'll learn and get discouraged.

I watched them for an hour this morning through the window.....need to get a bar stool or something (a wireless cam would be better).

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My BR started laying at 22.5 weeks.

10. Stillwater Chickens

Stillwater Chickens New Egg

Aug 19, 2009
    Hi Everyone,
    I wanted to thank you and share the excitement of our day.
    Last night I was on the computer trying to find out more information about when our gals will begin laying. So I was searching the different breeds we have, and learned from you all that it is not necessarily the breed which determines... We have 2 barred rocks, 2 buff orpingtons, 1 silver laced wyandotte, and 3 gold links - all 16 weeks old right now. Well, today during the ominous "tornado" weather we went to check on the girls to make sure they were okay and my 5 year old came screaming "Mama, an egg, an egg, our first egg!!!!" It was sitting on the ground right in the mud. We still do not know which one did it. If you ask me, I think it is one of the gold links. I wonder if the storm scared it out of her! [​IMG]
    Anyway, thanks for the timely help and advice on here.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by